filter floss

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BK Buttikoferi

Aquarium Advice Activist
Where should i put the filter floss in my aqueon filters ? How much is enough ?

Need more info

What model do you have?
How many gallon tank?
Are you only using filter floss and no other media?

What model do you have?
How many gallon tank?
Are you only using filter floss and no other media?

Im using two aqueon 55/75 filters. They have two cartridges in each one. I was thinking of adding some filter floss to the bottom of the filters for added filtration. Its a 55 gallon long btw.

Add it to the top. It's so fine that it will get clogged easily, so you want the finer debris running through it only. Also it works well as the last filter stage to polish the water. Not much of a limit on how much you can use. Just rinse or replace it once every two weeks.

Add it to the top. It's so fine that it will get clogged easily, so you want the finer debris running through it only. Also it works well as the last filter stage to polish the water. Not much of a limit on how much you can use. Just rinse or replace it once every two weeks.

Oh ok. I thought about stuffing down the side as a first stage filter. Another question. I have had coarse gravel substrate since the beginning. I heard smooth gravel or sand is better. The thought of changing the gravel seems exhausting. I like the crushed coral but whats your honest opinion.

I use all three!

Oh ok. I thought about stuffing down the side as a first stage filter. Another question. I have had coarse gravel substrate since the beginning. I heard smooth gravel or sand is better. The thought of changing the gravel seems exhausting. I like the crushed coral but whats your honest opinion.

I use sand for my tropical tank and my brackish tank (my Goby Dragon Fish loves to dig in the sand).

I use crushed coral for my cichlid tank.

I use gravel for my goldfish tank.

All have pros and cons. The sand looks the best but often gets sucked up when I siphon the substrate, the coral is the best buffer but you really have to stir it up when cleaning to insure that the edges of that stuff are getting cleaned and the gravel glows in the dark with my blue lights (awesome) but holds a lot of pooh and looks the most artificial.

I use crushed coral, it's good in a cichlid tank because it keeps my ph around 8.0. I like how it looks, not much settles beneath the surface, it's easy to vac, and it doesn't get sucked up. Also it's easy enough for my fish to dig and spit it around

I use crushed coral, it's good in a cichlid tank because it keeps my ph around 8.0. I like how it looks, not much settles beneath the surface, it's easy to vac, and it doesn't get sucked up. Also it's easy enough for my fish to dig and spit it around

So how much crushed coral for a 55 long ? And should i wash the corals till the water runs clear ?

I thought crushed coral will raise the ph I think most people here say cichlids with out thinking African or sa/ca.

I have sa/ca cichlids and they dig. A LOT. Thats why i said cichlids, not just african cichlids.

I'm not referring to you I'm refering to what marman said on the 1st page about crushed coral being best

Yes i know. And i was saying how even sa/ca cichlids dig a lot. Plus sand is easier to clean

Ah ok got ya. but dosent crushed coral raise ph? The op never said what cichlids he has and i was thinking he was getting advice for africans?

Ah ok got ya. but dosent crushed coral raise ph? The op never said what cichlids he has and i was thinking he was getting advice for africans?

Ya it raises ph. Which isnt very helpful if you are doing sa/ca. I used to use gravel and i hated cleaning it. Sand is sooooo much beter in my 150. Takes 2-4min to get all the waste with the water changer when with crushed coral/gravel it will take 10+min and you wont even get all of the waste

Ya it raises ph. Which isnt very helpful if you are doing sa/ca. I used to use gravel and i hated cleaning it. Sand is sooooo much beter in my 150. Takes 2-4min to get all the waste with the water changer when with crushed coral/gravel it will take 10+min and you wont even get all of the waste

I agree 100% with that I have sand in 2 tanks and gravel in 1 and the stuff that comes out of the gravel is unreal. I do water changes 2x a week and vac the gravel. The 3rd tank is going to sand soon.

Back
Top Bottom