filter flow

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishcakes

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have a 150 gal African cichlid tank, sand bottom, 2 500gph power head sponge filters (one on each end) 2 fluval 305's (intake set foot and a half in from each end, out put set out 1/3 way each end).
My prob is I can't figure how to set flow just perfect to keep the poop from gathering up in different spots. Please don't ask me to rearrange, I do that almost weekly with water changes and filter cleaning to keep their aggression down.
So what to do? Or is it just how it is?

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20120823_162600.jpg
    ForumRunner_20120823_162600.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 76
  • ForumRunner_20120823_162742.jpg
    ForumRunner_20120823_162742.jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 71
fishcakes said:
I have a 150 gal African cichlid tank, sand bottom, 2 500gph power head sponge filters (one on each end) 2 fluval 305's (intake set foot and a half in from each end, out put set out 1/3 way each end).
My prob is I can't figure how to set flow just perfect to keep the poop from gathering up in different spots. Please don't ask me to rearrange, I do that almost weekly with water changes and filter cleaning to keep their aggression down.
So what to do? Or is it just how it is?

Rearrange the tank.

J/K

I have a 75 African Cichlid tank and I run aquaclear 110, Fluval fx5 and a Koralia power head rated for 1250gph and still sometimes have debris gather on spots. You don't wanna blast your sand all over the tank.

When I perform water changes I just very gently run the hose about an inch over the sand, most of the debris doesn't settle due to the amount of flow I have.

I'd say it is what it is. You have a lot of flow in that tank. Have you tried maybe aiming the power heads in a different direction?

Sorry I can't be of more help. It may just be one I those things. Debris are gonna get into the places you hate no matter what.

My tank is pretty busy and overstocked, so I know the feeling.

I'm going to try aiming them in differently, now that you say that I am kind of blowing the heck out of my sand but I was getting desperate to move the poo too.

This won't be easy to do in a 6' tank, just saying. Water changes and moving stuff around is going to be your best option j/k. You can try getting a really powerful power head like convict said but I tryed and it would just get stuck along a rock or in a hole they dug out.

Back
Top Bottom