Filter help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nghsquad05

Aquarium Advice Regular
I am looking to get a canister filter for my 55 gallon tank. I currently have a filter that hangs over the back. Does anyone have any recommendations on a good filter I could get at a decent price from petsmart or petco

The fluval line of canisters are really nice. I would suggest the 406, but you could get away with the 306. If you wouldnt mind spending more money the fluval fx5 is awesome and would be great over filtration for a 55.

I currently got a jd a peacock a couple convicts and a couple Africans

I know my tank is skittle overcrowded but that's why I am looking for abetter filter

Whats the gph of the 306? Its best to have 4x turnover. So a gph of 210 would be a good aim for a 55. But id say even more than 4x would be better. Cichlids are messy and need strong filtration.

303 GPH for the 306, though I would recommend the Fluval 406, witch has 383 GPH, and should keep you're tank clean.

With clean media, I'm guessing around 290. Before filter maintenance it drops, but I don't know how much. But like I stated earlier, I've been running it for over a year, and my guys are king great. I would not use it on any tank bigger than the 55, with out another filter be it a canister, or HOB.

Weird that the 306 is 300+gph but its rated for 70gallon?
My eheim 2217 is 264gph and they say its rated for upto 160gallon.
Maybe the filtering media is different? Or fluval just want's to assure satisfaction. I really wouldn't use 264 for a 160 gallon. At least 600gph for that size of a tank.

Maybe the filtering media is different? Or fluval just want's to assure satisfaction. I really wouldn't use 264 for a 160 gallon. At least 600gph for that size of a tank.

Definitely. Wouldnt use it for a 160, thats just a joke. 2 for a 65 is nice though;)

And if you think about it. 70 x4 is 280 which isnt far off the 306s gph. So that makes it close to the ideal 4x turnover for a suggested 70gallon aquarium

And if you think about it. 70 x4 is 280 which isnt far off the 306s gph. So that makes it close to the ideal 4x turnover for a suggested 70gallon aquarium
If you have sensitive fish, like betta let's say, you cant get a strong filter. Its all about the fish. If you have an oscar, the higher the gph, the better. Usually, oscars need more then 4x the gallons in gph.

You can, you just need to make sure to defuse the flow so the current isnt too strong. The more filtration the better.

Thanks for the advice I just want to get something different. I have sand in the bottom so do any of those filters work with sand

Back
Top Bottom