Filter maint.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bmac1972

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hey all... Need some advice from the experts in here... Have a Rena filstar xp... Using foam (20 & 30 ppi...micro pad...bio chem stars... And bio Chem zorb... My question is how often do I change media?... I know to change bio chem zorb once a month... And the stars I just rinse with tank water...searched the web and really couldn't find one answer... Would like to here feedback from the pros in here... Thanks

i have the same filter and i just rinse the 20 and 30 ppi each time i do filter maintance. i only replace those pads once they start to fall apart which is about every 6-7 months for me or longer. also get some filter floss to use on the top instead of the micro pad. it does the same thing and you can get a sack for about 7 bucks that will last you years.

I have one also love it I rince the foam, change the floss monthly and the bio chem zorb should be good for 2 months though. I hardly rince the stars I put floss before and after them.

Thanks for the input.... Great idea about the floss!!... One more question... When I do change the foam... Do I change both at the same time.. Or only one at a time to keep bacteria going in the filter?....

Thanks for the input.... Great idea about the floss!!... One more question... When I do change the foam... Do I change both at the same time.. Or only one at a time to keep bacteria going in the filter?....

I usually take the cleaner one rinse it out in old tank water and put it where the nastier one was then put a new one in Its place don't forget the filstar flows from bottom to top. I almost pit everything in backwards when I first got it then double checked thank god.

Change one at a time. I swish my media in old tank water about once a month to get some of the bigger crud out. And yes, really only change media when it's falling apart and even then, I leave some of it in the filter to make 100% sure that I have good bb. Call it overkill but i don't care.

Back
Top Bottom