Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Cichlid Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-24-2011, 01:22 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

filter maintenance

My canister filters maintenance directions are kind of vague. How and how often should I change media. There are 2 floss, 1 carbon, 1 sponge. Heavily stocked 55 gallon.

Old 02-24-2011, 07:44 AM   #2

You really dont need to replace the filter pads, they hold a lot of beneficial bacteria and if taken out, will result your tank in a mini cycle.

But, you can swish the filter pads or floss in old tank water (from siphoning out in a bucket). By doing that, it saves the bacteria.

Old 02-24-2011, 10:17 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyspot1000
You really dont need to replace the filter pads, they hold a lot of beneficial bacteria and if taken out, will result your tank in a mini cycle.

But, you can swish the filter pads or floss in old tank water (from siphoning out in a bucket). By doing that, it saves the bacteria.
Cool. Some people use carbon and some not? What's up with that?
Old 02-24-2011, 04:06 PM   #4

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

I only use carbon to remove medications. Otherwise unless your removing tannins from driftwood or odors it's a waste of money in my opinion. Perform weekly water changes, keep the substate clean, perform monthly filter maintenance and your water will be crystal clear.
Old 02-24-2011, 04:29 PM   #5
Aquarium Free - 2+ Years

POTM Champion

You may have to clean your filter more often than once a month. I have to clean mine every 2 weeks or my nitrates get out of control... and that's with weekly 50% pwc's...

I have had the same media in my fluvals for over a year and a half now. No need to replace. Just squeeze them to death in a bucket of water removed from your tank, rinse out the canister, clean the impeller, and go with it.

"What, exactly, is the internet? Basically it is a global network exchanging digitized data in such a way that any computer, anywhere, that is equipped with a device called a 'modem', can make a noise like a duck choking on a kazoo." - Dave Barry
mfdrookie516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 05:03 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Sweet. That's doable. I just didn't like the idea of being a slave to carbon if it wasn't necessary. Thanks!
Old 02-24-2011, 05:05 PM   #7
Aquarium Free - 2+ Years

POTM Champion

yep, carbon is completely useless unless you are needing to remove odors or meds

"What, exactly, is the internet? Basically it is a global network exchanging digitized data in such a way that any computer, anywhere, that is equipped with a device called a 'modem', can make a noise like a duck choking on a kazoo." - Dave Barry
mfdrookie516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 11:56 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I have an Aqueon 55 hob filter... would I get good mechanical filtration by stuffing it with some kind of filter floss material?

Tags
filter, maintenance

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com