Filter Overkill

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fearitself

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have an established 37 gal with a few fish inhabiting currently but soon i will be replacing them with some African Cichlids. my current filter set up is a Top Fin 40 gallon filter and an aqua tech 15 gallon filter. I plan on replacing the 15 gallon filter with something bigger. I have been looking around for good HOB filters that i can afford and i have found The Marineland Penguin Power Filter on amazon for a good price with 350 gallons per hour filter rate here is the link if you would like to check it out. do you think i should get this filter for my tank or would it be to much.

i havent had one before but i really like the aquaeon hob filters. i have 2 of them and both of the tanks are crystal clear, and i have had no problems with them. I have reccomended the to many friends and they loved them. i think they are a little bit cheaper than penguin filters to. :)

i was looking at those also i wasn't sure if they were good or not because of the price but thanks for the input i will definitely look into that. how loud are they though

The pens are very good filters. I actually run two of them on my 75. But I am slowly falling out of love with them as I have a aquaclear 50 on my 25 and a 110 on my 55. I am slowly converting all my tanks to the aquaclears. They are very very easy to clean and offer more options as to what media you can add to the filter box. They also have a adjustable flow which I have found useful since I do over filter.

I really would. They are great filters. But don't get me wrong so are the pens. You really can't go wrong with either of them. I would read up on them. And make your decision on what you think will work best for you.

I will say, these are the only two brands I would use on any of my tanks. Again... This is just my opinion as they are the only filters I have ever used.

alright because i found the penguin online for really cheap and the ACs are onsale at petsmart lol for cheap

Fearitself said:
alright because i found the penguin online for really cheap and the ACs are onsale at petsmart lol for cheap

Usually amazon beats any in-store price. It's also free shipping most of the time.

yeah both companies are hagen i would like to get either of those but i cant really afford it so thats why i was looking at the penguins

aquaeons are super quiet
and they have a lifetime gaurentee
which is really cool
i have all aquaeon equipment including light, filter and heater, and they are all awesome.
:)

I've had an aqua clear 70g on my tank for over 2 years and it's never failed. I tried to burn it out when I cycled my tank when adding the sand and it just kept on going. Just keep an eye on them cause a couple times I have seen water spilling over the top which overnight can easily turn into 10 gallons on the floor.

If your 37g is 30" long, then I'm not sure if you can fit it along with your Top Fin 40. Consider a Aquaclear 70 or 50. They are smaller and you will have more room in the back of your tank.

I have a Penguin 350. Its about 16" long. I also have a AC 70 hanging on another tank. Here are the difference:

1. Penguin a lot bigger
2. Penguin only 50gph stronger (very slight difference IMO)
3. Penguin filter pad is included, but you will have to change it since charcoal is inside the filter pad. You probably have to make your own filter pad as well. The AC has layers of filter media, and you do not have to buy anything additional.
4. AC 70 is about $5-$10 more expensive.
5. AC can adjust the flow. You might end up with too much current with the Top Fin 40 + Penguin, but no way around it. With Top Fin 40 + AC, you can decrease flow by sliding a switch on the AC.

Both filters are pretty quiet. I don't know the wattage of each filter.

Its your decision. I'm selling my Penguin 350 and keeping my AC 70.

Back
Top Bottom