Filter suggestions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Critter1990

Aquarium Advice Activist
I am looking for some advice on what is the best filter for my 55g tank with a Jack Dempsey and a pleco. I currently have two aqua clear 50s. Is this enough for my tank or should I go bigger? Also i have a power head not being used. Should I put it in the tank or just leave it out?

Critter1990 said:
I am looking for some advice on what is the best filter for my 55g tank with a Jack Dempsey and a pleco. I currently have two aqua clear 50s. Is this enough for my tank or should I go bigger? Also i have a power head not being used. Should I put it in the tank or just leave it out?

Go with a fluval canister you won't regret it and go as big as the budget will allow but a 305/306 will do fine. But your ac50's will also do a fine job

I'm a big fan of powerheads and my fish
Seem to enjoy them. They can serve multiple purposes if used wisely.

Regarding the filters. I run the fluval fx5, which is a good filter, but on the larger side for your tank. I've heard some horror stories about the other fluval models and some leak issues.

5x5 said:
I'm a big fan of powerheads and my fish
Seem to enjoy them. They can serve multiple purposes if used wisely.

Regarding the filters. I run the fluval fx5, which is a good filter, but on the larger side for your tank. I've heard some horror stories about the other fluval models and some leak issues.

I have about 12-13 fluvals with no issues

Get a fluval fx5 or fluval 405 with your aquaclears and you should be good

That's also a good filter I have 2 emperor 400s on my 75 gallon and love them

Jacobsal91 said:
Awesome i got 2 marineland biowheel 200's on my 36, Its a lil overkill but the second was free so why not

I also have one and am very happy with it IMO my list would go as follows
1 fluval canister
2 bio wheel
3 aqua clear

I don't see the need for a canister filter on anything smaller then a 75g, I am currently running 2 AC110's on my 55, and it's for a single RD, sever overkill on filtration.

I also run 2 ac110's on my 75 and it was overkill as well. All an all there is so much room for bio media in them. I cut the foam pads in half am double up on my rings. Never have water quality problems.

Anyways good luck with your choice.

Aski247 said:
I don't see the need for a canister filter on anything smaller then a 75g, I am currently running 2 AC110's on my 55, and it's for a single RD, sever overkill on filtration.

I also run 2 ac110's on my 75 and it was overkill as well. All an all there is so much room for bio media in them. I cut the foam pads in half am double up on my rings. Never have water quality problems.

Anyways good luck with your choice.

They make canister filters all the way to 105/106 for 15-25 gallon tanks and nothing wrong with overkill

ryan-peddle said:
They make canister filters all the way to 105/106 for 15-25 gallon tanks and nothing wrong with overkill

Never said anything was wrong with overkill that's why I do it. I simply can't justify spending more money for something that the cheaper hob's can do.

There is so much room in the box on the ac110's it's almost like having a can. Jmo. Both are great to have. The hob is just the cheaper way out.

I just ordered a fx5 for my new 125, and I'm STILL gonna run 3 ac110's on it.

i say get an ac 110. there way cheaper than most canisters.

Aski247 said:
Never said anything was wrong with overkill that's why I do it. I simply can't justify spending more money for something that the cheaper hob's can do.

There is so much room in the box on the ac110's it's almost like having a can. Jmo. Both are great to have. The hob is just the cheaper way out.

I just ordered a fx5 for my new 125, and I'm STILL gonna run 3 ac110's on it.

Right on I just like all the media storage and easy matenice on the canisters but I do like the 110's too and I am with you I run every filter I have needed or not no filters sit idle in my house

Not sure on the cascades I honestly never owned one

Ah nice..ya I'm in need of another filter and I'm not crazy about my fluval 405. I have two 60's atm and debating whether to get a hob or try another cansiter.no more fluvals for me but I'd prefer having 2 cansiters but I like the debris pickup the hobs do especially the aqueon 55/75. What should I get lol. With the 405 my issues are priming..takes me a good 30mins of patience and moving my hydro powerhead under the input nozzle inside the tank to get it started and the best part is once its primed my luck I get spriluina type debris pumping out of my spray bar after I've cleaned out the media..and weak power coming in.

AddictedtoFishNoW said:
Ah nice..ya I'm in need of another filter and I'm not crazy about my fluval 405. I have two 60's atm and debating whether to get a hob or try another cansiter.no more fluvals for me but I'd prefer having 2 cansiters but I like the debris pickup the hobs do especially the aqueon 55/75. What should I get lol. With the 405 my issues are priming..takes me a good 30mins of patience and moving my hydro powerhead under the input nozzle inside the tank to get it started and the best part is once its primed my luck I get spriluina type debris pumping out of my spray bar after I've cleaned out the media..and weak power coming in.

Ehiem all the way. Classics or the new electronic

AddictedtoFishNoW said:

That would be the ribbed hose if you get the same size in clear plastic at any hardware store you will loose all that debris and as for your priming Hagen will ship you a replacement siphon peice the rubber cup on the intake

Back
Top Bottom