filter trouble

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

a.tetreault

Aquarium Advice Freak
how do you guys get your filter sponges and things to stay down? mine keep floating to the top of the filters and im worried they will overflow. i have aquaclears

Does it have a lid? That should be
Enough but if
Not try a new sponge or
Put something on top of it. If you want
My honest
Opinion i would just get a new one if your worried, marineland
Biowheels work very well!

I have 10 Aquaclear 70's running and I've never witnessed such a event, the sponge sits in the bottom of the basket pinched in place, then Biomax on top of that. I've had some running for years without the sponges moving even the slightest amount. Does the basket sit tight in the housing? Does the sponge sit tight in the basket?

I have a lid and bio bag on top of the sponge, the sponge is tight in the basket, but the basket is not tight in the filterso not only does the sponge float to the top but the basket will pop out on one side causing the lid to raise up. It does this with both my filters for my 75 gallon, but hasn't done it with the one on my 20 gallon.

For now I just have the lid taped to the filter, was mostly wondering if there is a possibility it will overflow and if this is normal for these filters. I originally had two sponges and a bio bag, and thought that the second sponge was causing the problem but I tried taking it out and it made no difference

I actually just cleaned them, squeezed the sponges out and rinsed them out in tank water, they still want to float.

No not common from my exsperience, all my 110's have cut in half long ways sponges, and 2 bio bags.

This might be the first I have read about a floating basket, specially with a lid on and bio bag in the basket.

Any ways sorry I can't really offer any advise on fixing it. I myself would have taped the lid down too haha.

Right and I will dump the bucket ring dump bucket ring and on and on and on you get the picture lol anyway always have a spare and I will let one dry completely out maybe rinse it some more and let it dry and continue the cycle with the other sponge

Okay well I'll try that, right now my filters are barely working because the sponges are so high up, even with the lids taped. I'll try cleaning a sponge tonight and replacing another.

how do you guys get your filter sponges and things to stay down? mine keep floating to the top of the filters and im worried they will overflow. i have aquaclears

This is right from the AquaClear Instruction Manual (Hagen website):

Q. What happens if I forget to clean my filter inserts?
A. If the Power Filter is left unattended for too long, the filter inserts become clogged with debris. In extreme cases, the filter basket may be forced up from the filter case due to the pump pressure. This is an indication that the efficiency of the filtration is very low and that the filter inserts require immediate rinsing or replacement. (See Filter Inserts Maintenance.)

I just got my 110 yesterday. I notices little notches in the case meant to help hold in the foam as well. Perhaps the foam softens as it ages. If you still have problems after cleaning, you could get creative with some fishing line and those notches to help hold the foam down.

AC sponges need to be cleaned quite vigorously to get them clean. The solids get crammed in there and a little squeezing won't do it. I clean mine until nothing comes out anymore.This requires several changes of water. The way around this is to not let it get so packed, by more frequent cleaning. The beneficial bacteria is glued to the matrix of the foam and doesn't come off easily. AC foam inserts last for years before they lose their rigidity and become soft.

So if I have four sponges in total I could probably clean one of them each week? Every time I do a water change

How often would I clean the one in my ten gallon? I only have one sponge in there so I'm worried about losing bacteria

Back
Top Bottom