filters and water quality

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Andrew McFadden

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have 1 rena running on my 180g and for now I'm good, I have a overflow that goes to a fbf and then a refugium then threw a rena and comes out where my pump is and gets pumped back up. Is it hard on my Cichlids if the nitrite drops down to 15 from 25ish? I don't run this filter all the time only when I'm home.

Not nitrites, I'm talkin about nitrates from my understanding its suppose to be under 40. But mine are at 25 when I turn the other filters on it drops to 10-15 after being on for 10 minutes. So is this still safe or to much of a change? I would like to add they all seem to be fine when I run the sump. Its an extra 40 gallons

Not sure why you have the drop but it wouldn't hurt your fish. This happens to everyone after a water change. But 40 ppm is 20 too high imo.

I was going to say, nitrites!? lol.. Nitrates, ideally, you want below 25ppm. I've never had a problem with high nitrates so I can't say from experience how to combat that. As for the change, it shouldn't harm the fish at all. Nitrate doesn't have an immediate impact on them.

Back
Top Bottom