Fin rot or bullying

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

liljosh609

Aquarium Advice Activist
This electric blue cichlid has been hiding up in the corner and his fins look tethered. Also, his scales appear to be ripped or messed with. All of the other fish are fine. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• image-3229077004.jpg
    image-3229077004.jpg
    104.3 KB · Views: 84
  • image-3230705268.jpg
    image-3230705268.jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 79
What have you observed? Is he getting chased a lot? What size tank and what are the tankmates? Also, are there a lot of hiding places, caves etc?

It's a 55 all African, but I have seen my mostly docile bumblebee nipping at him, and the jewel striking. I've had all of them for a while, but recently moved some rocks around, eliminating most hiding spots. There are still a few though, especially for him, being so small. His scales on one side were ripped off in a patch.

Oh and in that first pic, I took it sideways, so he's in a normal position

Ok so definitely seems like bullying. I would arrange the decor again in a way to provide a lot of hiding places and territory. Even your other fish need areas to claim as their territory. By removing most hiding places they may be claiming a lot of open space and attacking this guy when he enters "their space".

Back
Top Bottom