Finally!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jess1ca

Aquarium Advice Addict
My Nyererei spit her babies sometime between last night and 10 am this morning. She has been hovering at the top, I'm assuming she's pretty hungry!? I haven't seen any babies. Hopefully one will make it :)

garfy said:
With your eye biter I wouldn't hold your breath lol.They are super predators when it comes to fry.

I know :( I watched him hunt a tiny Demasoni I got the other day, it was incredible... So stealthy. Thankfully the tank was too busy and he hadn't gotten him. I think she did it last night and he is always prowling at night. I thought the mothers defended their fry and she isn't defending anything so I thought it was possible that they are already gone :( she's looking quite thin, should I toss in a pinch of food? I don't feed till 6.

Last edited:
AndrewsPistol said:
I know :( I watched him hunt a tiny Demasoni I got the other day, it was incredible... So stealthy. Thankfully the tank was too busy and he hadn't gotten him. I think she did it last night and he is always prowling at night. I thought the mothers defended their fry and she isn't defending anything so I thought it was possible that they are already gone :( she's looking quite thin, should I toss in a pinch of food? I don't feed till 6.

Shell be fine till 6 and I'm afraid they generally don't protect their fry.Probably don't have the energy after all the fasting.Sooner or later one will slip through the net and weeks later will appear as if from nowhere.

Yep exactly right.At that length I would say you have a female.Shame your not in the uk as one of my females has turned out to be a male.Beautiful metallic blue with orange fins.I am swapping him for something else tomorrow.

garfy said:
Yep exactly right.At that length I would say you have a female.Shame your not in the uk as one of my females has turned out to be a male.Beautiful metallic blue with orange fins.I am swapping him for something else tomorrow.

I figured as much! Oh well, love HER anyways lol. What did u end up trading him for?

AndrewsPistol said:
I figured as much! Oh well, love HER anyways lol. What did u end up trading him for?

Couldn't get there today do it'll have to be tomorrow or Sunday.If you want to keep the fry then yes I would either strip her or desperate her and let her spit in another tank.
If I'd stripped every holding cichlid in my tank I'd be overrun with fry.I just let nature take its course and what will be will be.I can understand you wanting to keep some of the first fry though.
Good luck with the stripping :)

garfy said:
Couldn't get there today do it'll have to be tomorrow or Sunday.If you want to keep the fry then yes I would either strip her or desperate her and let her spit in another tank.
If I'd stripped every holding cichlid in my tank I'd be overrun with fry.I just let nature take its course and what will be will be.I can understand you wanting to keep some of the first fry though.
Good luck with the stripping :)

I'm noy really interested with breeding I just thought with them holding I'd like to get one and watch it grow. Kinda cool to have a fish that was born in the tank ya know ;)

Back
Top Bottom