Fire mouth aggression question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bichir Bro

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hello cichlid guys! I'm currently in the process of setting up a new 60 gallon and would like to have a fire mouth in it. The tank has 2 marineland emperor 400's and of course a heater. The tank has sand and will have tons of wood work, lots of rock work and caves and one side of the tank will be heavily planted with fake plants. My stock will consist of penguin tetras, tiger barbs and other schooling fish. Now my question is can I put one in with fish such as those? I've researched a ton on them and there's tons of contradictory information on them. Some say they're aggressive and will kill the others, others say they're peaceful and others say they're semi aggressive. Which do you guys say? Are they ok for my tank or should I ditch the idea? Please don't jump on me if it's a stupid question! I'm not an expert when it comes to cichlids.
I'd much rather fix my stock over a computer screen or paper than swimming in my tank! Thanks!

Firemouths vary greatly in temperament. They can be considered "semi-aggressive" and are more likely to flare their gills at other similar or larger sized fish than ever do damage. I have seen them on either side of that scale though, some super docile, some super aggressive. It all depends on the individual at hand unfortunately.

Firemouths vary greatly in temperament. They can be considered "semi-aggressive" and are more likely to flare their gills at other similar or larger sized fish than ever do damage. I have seen them on either side of that scale though, some super docile, some super aggressive. It all depends on the individual at hand unfortunately.

Ok thank you very much! I don't know if I'm gonna risk it..... He does sort of put a limit on the bottom dwellers I'm looking at and some schoolers but he would make one heck of a centerpiece fish!

I now know why there is varying info or as you said contradictory info. My FM where so passive I would trust them with any fish they quickly became my favorite fish. But then breeding time came and they turned into psychos! They kept my Jag pinned in a corner. I think the differing opinion comes from pre or post breeding. But that was just my experience.

I don't know if I would trust them with tetras but it not out of the realm of possibilities. I say give 1 a try but don't get a pair.

Yeah I only wanted one as I don't want them breeding because everyone agrees on their aggressiveness during breeding.

Most of the time with firemouths it's more bark than bite if you get my meaning. They really show off more than anything. Of course, there is always the one homicidal fish in the bunch too, but that can be said for all fish. Mine like to flare at everyone, including me, but live peacefully in a tank with giant danios, golden dojo loaches, clown loaches, syno cats, and a jack dempsey.

Most of the time with firemouths it's more bark than bite if you get my meaning. They really show off more than anything. Of course, there is always the one homicidal fish in the bunch too, but that can be said for all fish. Mine like to flare at everyone, including me, but live peacefully in a tank with giant danios, golden dojo loaches, clown loaches, syno cats, and a jack dempsey.

Yeah but those are larger fish, do you think he'll be ok with smaller fish such as penguin tetras, tiger barbs and fish of those size?

Yeah but those are larger fish, do you think he'll be ok with smaller fish such as penguin tetras, tiger barbs and fish of those size?

Easily. Penguins and tiger barbs get good sized once they reach maturity. We're talking the penguins and tigers get about 3+ inches. Same for the giant danios.

Look into some of the firemouth cousins, like thorichthys pasionis, maculipinnis, and aureum. Thy tend to be a bit calmer if I'm not mistaken. They may be a bit harder to find than a Meeki, as they are the most common species of the firemouths, but IMO are better looking and better temperament

Look into some of the firemouth cousins, like thorichthys pasionis, maculipinnis, and aureum. Thy tend to be a bit calmer if I'm not mistaken. They may be a bit harder to find than a Meeki, as they are the most common species of the firemouths, but IMO are better looking and better temperament

Will definitely look into those!

Will definitely look into those!

Cryptoheros is another good genus to look into, like nanoluteus, sajica, spilurum, and even panamense. Not the same as firemouths, but a similar semi-aggressive Central American genus that is mostly capable of living with schooling fish

Cryptoheros is another good genus to look into, like nanoluteus, sajica, spilurum, and even panamense. Not the same as firemouths, but a similar semi-aggressive Central American genus that is mostly capable of living with schooling fish

Will do! Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom