Firemouth???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Galligak

Aquarium Advice Addict
Are they really as mean as some say? I've read quite a few articles on them and it's about 50/50 on the aggressiveness arguments. I have a 55g tank that will have 6 peppered cories and probably 7-8 panda cories. My sister wants an angelfish would that even be possible? I know they're both cichlids so yeah... I'm guessing no but I'd love to be contridicted;)

I have heard they're aggressive, but usually during breeding. When they aren't they're more of territorial. In your tank I wouldn't risk it with the cories, they may be too boisterous and obnoxious for your firemouth's liking.

Put it this way. I had a convict tank 6 and I added a pair of FM's. You would think the cons would be the ones to fight, NOPE! Had to remove and re home the FM's they were relentless!! Evil fish!! Again this was just my experience.

Firemouths claim about 4' of territory, a relatively large space for their size. Cory cats are social/schooling fish that have no clue what territories are. If you want a pair of cichlids that will spawn and raise their fry w/out killing the other fish I'd recommend Cryptoheros cutteri. I had 3 constantly spawning pairs in a 90, quite often a couple hundred fry, and not even a split fin among them. I moved one pair into a 40 breeder for the Carapo knife to chow down their fry, and there are 6 P. typus catfish in the 90 with the other 2 pairs that keep their fry under control.

Yeah, I would not personally suggest a firemouth with an angel. I actually looked into that exact mix when I was younger because th firemouths look so cool, but my research heavily indicated that it wouldn't work. There is of course always a chance that if you just got one of each, maybe they would be both be really relaxed individuals, but it doesn't seem likely at all that it would work.

bruinsbro1997 said:
I have heard they're aggressive, but usually during breeding. When they aren't they're more of territorial. In your tank I wouldn't risk it with the cories, they may be too boisterous and obnoxious for your firemouth's liking.

Okay. Thanks, that's defiantly something to look over....

Convict2161 said:
Put it this way. I had a convict tank 6 and I added a pair of FM's. You would think the cons would be the ones to fight, NOPE! Had to remove and re home the FM's they were relentless!! Evil fish!! Again this was just my experience.

Oh dear that's not good!!! I will really look into that part of them! I'm now a bit on the not getting side now....

toddnbecka said:
Firemouths claim about 4' of territory, a relatively large space for their size. Cory cats are social/schooling fish that have no clue what territories are. If you want a pair of cichlids that will spawn and raise their fry w/out killing the other fish I'd recommend Cryptoheros cutteri. I had 3 constantly spawning pairs in a 90, quite often a couple hundred fry, and not even a split fin among them. I moved one pair into a 40 breeder for the Carapo knife to chow down their fry, and there are 6 P. typus catfish in the 90 with the other 2 pairs that keep their fry under control.

I'm really not into actually breeding the firemouths. I was just looking into getting one. But I will definitely look into the Cryptoheros cutteri that you suggested, thanks!

absolutangel04 said:
Yeah, I would not personally suggest a firemouth with an angel. I actually looked into that exact mix when I was younger because th firemouths look so cool, but my research heavily indicated that it wouldn't work. There is of course always a chance that if you just got one of each, maybe they would be both be really relaxed individuals, but it doesn't seem likely at all that it would work.

Yeah... Heavily doubted that would work. I was going to hope that if maybe I got one of each and that they were juvenile ones that they could get along, possibly... But I see that I was apparently mistaken:nono: oh well! Thanks for the info!

umm you said about your sister wants angel fish in the first post... do you mean to mix the angels and firemouths? in that case i dont think it woud work, FMs are very mean especially when breeding. a few females maybe not so bad, could prob just about do.
but i dont think cories would really stand a chance, the territory thing im sorry :( xx

Mouth-Brooder-Fanatic said:
umm you said about your sister wants angel fish in the first post... do you mean to mix the angels and firemouths? in that case i dont think it woud work, FMs are very mean especially when breeding. a few females maybe not so bad, could prob just about do.
but i dont think cories would really stand a chance, the territory thing im sorry :( xx

Yeah. I'm thinking that my hope for the firemouth went out the door a while ago. But that's okay, because now I have more room for more fish:). It's all good! And thanks for the warning!

Back
Top Bottom