Firemouth and jewels.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ryanlr88

Aquarium Advice Activist
So I have 1 firemouth and 3 jewels and several syno cats. All about 2.5 inches right now. Lately the firemouth has been a huge jerk and tries to nip at everyone in the tank. He is too slow to get anyone but I am just wondering if anyone else has had exp with them together. I know every fish is diff but should I expect the firemouth to be the alpha? I am guessing its a male. I kinda figured one of the jewels would be top dog but right now it doesn't seem that way.

I would assume the firemouth is trying to be the alpha in the tank or is just fighting for territories. I know that Jewels can be pretty mean though when they get bigger. How big is the tank ?

What size tank are these fish in?

55 gal.

I don't quite consider it to be like 2 pitbulls in a box, considering they have been in same tank for 2 weeks and they have literally never nipped any fins or locked lips once. So...I'd say that comment is slightly overblown...

You may think that comment is over blown but think about it when they get full sized on how aggressive they can be. If there small right now then theyll just play around and etc.......

55 gal.

I don't quite consider it to be like 2 pitbulls in a box, considering they have been in same tank for 2 weeks and they have literally never nipped any fins or locked lips once. So...I'd say that comment is slightly overblown...

Well, I can attest to Jewels being down right nasty....the one I had with with my Algae Eater for 2 month then one day just killed him. You might not have 2 Pitbulls in a box but maybe a Pitbull and a Rottweiler. Same Jewel started locking up with an Oscar 2x size after I had to move him until I could figure out what to do(I figured I'd move him out into my 60 gallon temp)...Took him to the LFS got credit on a Frontosa that night.

I'd rehome the Firemouth

People really don't like jewels on here I guess. I love them. The three I have are complete sweethearts and haven't caused any fuss until this firemouth started going around flappin his gills.

The reason I think that is an overblown statement is bc I feel like it could be said for a LOT of cichlids. I'm no expert by any means, but are firemouth usually very aggressive compared to other large cichlids, such as kenyi, oscars, etc? Keep in mind that I'm not expecting everyone in the tank to get along perfectly, obviously cichlids fight sometimes.

People really don't like jewels on here I guess. I love them. The three I have are complete sweethearts and haven't caused any fuss until this firemouth started going around flappin his gills.

The reason I think that is an overblown statement is bc I feel like it could be said for a LOT of cichlids. I'm no expert by any means, but are firemouth usually very aggressive compared to other large cichlids, such as kenyi, oscars, etc? Keep in mind that I'm not expecting everyone in the tank to get along perfectly, obviously cichlids fight sometimes.

Hey I'm not saying I did not like it (the Jewel) I'm just saying I like to have more than one type of Fish....I think most would agree. (in my case it was an Impulse buy and kicked myself for it).
I have had all types of Aggressive Fish (Oscars, Jack Dempseys, Texas Cichlids, even a Wolf fish) over the years maybe it was just a rogue...but besides that SA Cichlids and Jewels (Africans) do have different requirements. If I had the room and a separate tank I would still have it.
I think (no I'm no expert) but the firemouth is threatened and putting up a front as to establish alpha but my Oscar Tried the same...and it did not matter.

I love jewels but do realize that is unlikely for them to be with tank mates long term, if they do get along with other fish you have to keep a close eye on them because it can change in a second, not that this is always the case there is always exceptions, but personally for the safety of any other fish I would keep the jewels species only :p

a.tetreault said:
I love jewels but do realize that is unlikely for them to be with tank mates long term, if they do get along with other fish you have to keep a close eye on them because it can change in a second, not that this is always the case there is always exceptions, but personally for the safety of any other fish I would keep the jewels species only :p

So you saying to have jewels its ideal to have literally just jewel Cichlids in the tank? I've never heard that before. It's obviously a situation I'm gonna be watching closely as they grow. If serious problems did arrive I would do something, would want fish getting beat up. At the same time I think a little fighting is fine.

You know after thinking about it , I did more research. If you had to have Tankmates a Firemouth would be a decent option due to similar Water needs. I was thinking Jewel needed high PH they don't and are similar to SA cichlids in that regard. I think that you have 3 Jewels and if 2 pair off to breed could be an issue. At this point keep an eye out and maybe start a back up tank just in case. Always good to have a plan......

Pton46 said:
You know after thinking about it , I did more research. If you had to have Tankmates a Firemouth would be a decent option due to similar Water needs. I was thinking Jewel needed high PH they don't and are similar to SA cichlids in that regard. I think that you have 3 Jewels and if 2 pair off to breed could be an issue. At this point keep an eye out and maybe start a back up tank just in case. Always good to have a plan......

Exactly what I was thinking. It helps that my wife has no problem with me spending money on my fish... No but seriously if I had to I would.

Exactly what I was thinking. It helps that my wife has no problem with me spending money on my fish... No but seriously if I had to I would.

As I Tell my wife..there are worst things I could be spending money on....although it does not always work :lol:

Ok there's a lot of love in the room for jewel cichlids. Lol

But when I was at least 10 years younger and inexperienced in the ways of keeping cichlids. I kept a breeding pair of jewels in a tank with from memory,
Jade eyes
Keyhole cichlid
Silver shark
Tropheus
In a 3 ft tank
Any way I had no aggression issue unless they were breeding, but even then they just held the corner of the tank , no big deal.

All fish have different personalities and things will work our for some but won't work out for others. Theres always an exception! :)

a.tetreault said:
All fish have different personalities and things will work our for some but won't work out for others. Theres always an exception! :)

100% agree I have personally kept these fish together and they have been fine. People write off fish before they have even tried things themselves. Obviously you wouldn't put an Oscar in a guppy tank but other scenarios can work.

Back
Top Bottom