Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Cichlid Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-20-2012, 12:10 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

Firemouth and jewels.

So I have 1 firemouth and 3 jewels and several syno cats. All about 2.5 inches right now. Lately the firemouth has been a huge jerk and tries to nip at everyone in the tank. He is too slow to get anyone but I am just wondering if anyone else has had exp with them together. I know every fish is diff but should I expect the firemouth to be the alpha? I am guessing its a male. I kinda figured one of the jewels would be top dog but right now it doesn't seem that way.

Old 03-20-2012, 12:13 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Regular

I would assume the firemouth is trying to be the alpha in the tank or is just fighting for territories. I know that Jewels can be pretty mean though when they get bigger. How big is the tank ?

- Im thinking......im Thinking.....
jakester334 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 12:22 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

What size tank are these fish in?

Jason's Profile Page
Jason7894561230 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 12:38 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

fire mouth and jewels are like puting to male pit bulls in a box.
Old 03-20-2012, 12:42 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason7894561230 View Post
What size tank are these fish in?
55 gal.

I don't quite consider it to be like 2 pitbulls in a box, considering they have been in same tank for 2 weeks and they have literally never nipped any fins or locked lips once. So...I'd say that comment is slightly overblown...
Old 03-20-2012, 03:28 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Regular

You may think that comment is over blown but think about it when they get full sized on how aggressive they can be. If there small right now then theyll just play around and etc.......
- Im thinking......im Thinking.....
jakester334 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 03:54 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryanlr88 View Post
55 gal.

I don't quite consider it to be like 2 pitbulls in a box, considering they have been in same tank for 2 weeks and they have literally never nipped any fins or locked lips once. So...I'd say that comment is slightly overblown...

Well, I can attest to Jewels being down right nasty....the one I had with with my Algae Eater for 2 month then one day just killed him. You might not have 2 Pitbulls in a box but maybe a Pitbull and a Rottweiler. Same Jewel started locking up with an Oscar 2x size after I had to move him until I could figure out what to do(I figured I'd move him out into my 60 gallon temp)...Took him to the LFS got credit on a Frontosa that night.

I'd rehome the Firemouth
60 gallon(Parrots and Convicts) 55 gallon African Cichlids 5 gallon Betta tank 35 Gallon Hex (Bolivian Rams, Oto cats, Bloodfin Tetra and a shoal of Tiger Barbs) 75 Gallon Oscar Condo. 30 gallon GBRs & Danios
Pton46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 06:27 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

i have heard that jewels do better in a species only tank, they are nasty fish.
Old 03-20-2012, 07:55 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Activist

People really don't like jewels on here I guess. I love them. The three I have are complete sweethearts and haven't caused any fuss until this firemouth started going around flappin his gills.

The reason I think that is an overblown statement is bc I feel like it could be said for a LOT of cichlids. I'm no expert by any means, but are firemouth usually very aggressive compared to other large cichlids, such as kenyi, oscars, etc? Keep in mind that I'm not expecting everyone in the tank to get along perfectly, obviously cichlids fight sometimes.
Old 03-20-2012, 08:13 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryanlr88 View Post
People really don't like jewels on here I guess. I love them. The three I have are complete sweethearts and haven't caused any fuss until this firemouth started going around flappin his gills.

The reason I think that is an overblown statement is bc I feel like it could be said for a LOT of cichlids. I'm no expert by any means, but are firemouth usually very aggressive compared to other large cichlids, such as kenyi, oscars, etc? Keep in mind that I'm not expecting everyone in the tank to get along perfectly, obviously cichlids fight sometimes.

Hey I'm not saying I did not like it (the Jewel) I'm just saying I like to have more than one type of Fish....I think most would agree. (in my case it was an Impulse buy and kicked myself for it).
I have had all types of Aggressive Fish (Oscars, Jack Dempseys, Texas Cichlids, even a Wolf fish) over the years maybe it was just a rogue...but besides that SA Cichlids and Jewels (Africans) do have different requirements. If I had the room and a separate tank I would still have it.
I think (no I'm no expert) but the firemouth is threatened and putting up a front as to establish alpha but my Oscar Tried the same...and it did not matter.

60 gallon(Parrots and Convicts) 55 gallon African Cichlids 5 gallon Betta tank 35 Gallon Hex (Bolivian Rams, Oto cats, Bloodfin Tetra and a shoal of Tiger Barbs) 75 Gallon Oscar Condo. 30 gallon GBRs & Danios
Pton46 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
firemouth

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com