Firemouth Breeding

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sidman24

Aquarium Advice FINatic
So I "believe" I have a male & female pair of firemouths in community tank. One is very very dark and full of color, other is very pale and not so much color. Both around 2.. Maybe 3 inches. They are in a 75 community with angels, krib, buffalo head, and some cories. Temp is around 78-79. So will they automatically breed if they are a pair or do they require certain conditions? I really don't want them to because they may become too aggressive...

Most of the time warmer temps around 82 trigger breeding. But , sometimes it doesn't matter.. If you see them setting up in a cave or log that's a good clue..

My Firemouths breed about 3 months ago. It is nearly impossible to tell the difference between male and female. The coloring you are seeing is dominance. If they are "in the mood" they will both be brightly colored. Firemouths in breeding colors are the most beautiful fish I have seen, but I am partial to them anyways they are probably my favorite fish.

When they are about to breed you will see an egg tube on the female it is very very tiny. When they do breed they are very good parents they will guard the fry even while free swimming. I have my fry in a 20 long and they are very slow growing mine are about 3/4" at 3 months. Typically firemouths stay bonded after breeding however mine seem to have gotten a divorce because they stay at opposite ends of the tank. Just recently they are displaying and flaring at each other again so maybe things might be turning around who knows. I am not ready for more babies though.

They will automatically breed there are no special conditions for fire mouths. Seems like you have a good set up and the tank mates you have are fine. They will get aggressive with other fish coming near there nest. Looks like most of the fish you have can handle that fine minus the angels. You might need to find a temporary set up for your angles during breeding.

Back
Top Bottom