Firemouth cichlid

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fishfanatic16

Aquarium Advice Activist
So I finally decided on my new cichlid and it's the central American firemouth cichlid. Does any1 have any tips on the like caring for them and breeding thanks

Firemouth are unpredictable like most New World cichlids, from my experience they are very territorial and aggressive. Luckily they do not have the power to do any real damage just mainly tear up fins, they are not afraid to attack a much larger fish. Mine tolerate certain fish and absolutly hate others. Be careful that they do not stress out fish that they pick on because they seem to claim a large territory and can keep another fish pinned in a small part of the tank. Mine seems to claim the middle of the tank so the fish he does not like are stuck on either side but luckily it is a 6 ft tank and they have plenty of room. This is only my experience but im sure others have different opinions.

I plan on breeding them in a species only tank in either one of my 20g or 50g has anyone ever cross bred a convict and a firemouth I'm very interested at how they will look

A convict and firemouth should be fairly easy to breed because they both spawn easy and both are well known to breed with other cichlids. Firemouths like to breed with nicaraguen cichlids also.

Back
Top Bottom