Firemouth Cichlid Care Tips

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bensparky

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I am going to get a breeding pair of firemouth cichlids for my 72 gallon aquarium that is currently cylcing.

Any special things that would be benificial for the firemouths , i have seen "Cichlid stones" but not sure of there use.

Any special food or decor for them?

Any tips would help.

NOTE:I am adding a bristlenose pleco to the tank aswell.

I would use driftwood/slate caves/plants. Flower pots also work well. That tank is going to be very large and empty looking with just them. Id also add a large school of some sort of tetra/barb/loach that you like.

As for food, pellets are the way to go. Cubes of frozen blood worms and brine shrimp as a treat. Live crickets are also a good food source once they get large enough. Pellets being the staple will promote the best health growth and color.

Good luck, post pics when ya get set up.

Skip the cichlid stones and go for slate to make caves or clay pots. Decor is up to you. Try buying a few juvies to ensure you go get a pair.

How about only 4 , i feel that 6 will be too much , will the pairs fight eachother?

How about only 4 , i feel that 6 will be too much , will the pairs fight eachother?

There is always the possibility of fighting when housing aggressive/simi ag. Fish. Even higher a chance when pairs are involved.

You should get a pair out of 4, 6 would provide better odds. And even at a smaller size that they will pair up in they will have tons of room between them. I like having multiple pairs so I can pick the better looking ones to keep.

There is always the possibility of fighting when housing aggressive/simi ag. Fish. Even higher a chance when pairs are involved.

You should get a pair out of 4, 6 would provide better odds. And even at a smaller size that they will pair up in they will have tons of room between them. I like having multiple pairs so I can pick the better looking ones to keep.

+1 on getting 6. I feel it gives you a better chance to get at least one pair. Bring the rest to the lfs for credit.

Firemouth love sandy bottom than stone.u can use sand which looks more natural and authentic.addition of salte is even good too.firemoth love to hide.so make some hiding places in tank.it can be a small caves or bogwoods.U can feed hikari bio gold plus for vibrant colour of ur fish.this pellet included micro-organism which keep ur fish healthy.but without live food they don't reach the ultimate growth level.so use live blood worm or cricket.best is shrimp.they just love it.lastly I'll say keep only one pair of FM and keep 4-6 silver dollar with them which help u as a dither fish as well.and dollar looks kool too.Hope this info help.

.but without live food they don't reach the ultimate growth level..

That's just absurd to think that fish will not reach the maximum growth potenial without live foods. Genetics play a much larger factor than food or any other reason, next would be water conditions since fish will release a hormone that inhibits growth, followed lastly by food. Just like people there will always be shorter or longer examples of fish.

Last edited:
Alright , thank you all for your suggestions , i will do alittle more research on firemouths and decide if i want to keep them.

Any other words of wisdom for me?

Bensparky said:
Alright , thank you all for your suggestions , i will do alittle more research on firemouths and decide if i want to keep them.

Any other words of wisdom for me?

I have a pair of breeding firemouths and the clay pots work very well. It took over a year before the firemouths spawned, so be prepared to wait awhile of you get them as 2" juvies. My male and
Female are around 4"+ right now. I started with four and got 2 male and 2 female luckily. 6 is the traditional approach and I do recommend that, but 4 is very good odds as well.

One last note - place your breeding sites on the sides of the tank rather than the middle. It gives the non-spawning fish more room to swim without being harassed.

Back
Top Bottom