Firemouth cichlids

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

xander

Aquarium Advice Freak
I just obtained a couple of Firemouth cichlids. The guy I bought two used tanks from gave them to me. He said they are a breeding pair but always eat their young. The male is about twice as big as the female. Is that normal? Never had any central american cichlids before. Mosly a catfish guy. They aren't something I would have gone out and bought so I've never done any research on them. But now that I have them I may as well live and learn. I am just wondering what I am in for.

There are quite a few cichlid species where the males are larger and have more finnage as well. I used to keep Firemouths. They are fairly peaceful (for cichlids). They don't get very large (about 5 inches), and are easy to keep and breed.

Like most cichlids, they will eat their eggs or young if they feel threatened. Are you planning to keep them alone, or mix them with other fish?

Well at the moment I have them in a 30 with a bunch of bristlenose plecos. It would be cool to try and raise their fry.

Well if you want to try watch for the spawning behavior. Lots of gill flaring and liplocking. Remove the pair to a bare bottom ten gallon tank. Lay a clay flower pot on it's side, and wait for the results. :D

they are in a 30 with a bare bottom already. With a pot on its side. I had it set up to recieve my 12 plecos I had coming. It was the only tank I could put them in so it seems to have worked out. They are quite skitish and the male keeps pecking at the female. They both spend time in the pot but not both at the same time. The make chases her out. Maybe I need a larger pot.

Back
Top Bottom