Firemouth cichlids with tiger barbs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Waffle toaster

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi, after my goldfish died, I've been wanting to fill my aquarium back up. After researching all different kinds of fish that are commonly used as pets, I decided that firemouth cichlids would be the best for me to have. I also decided that I wanted more than just one kind of fish, and I thought that tiger barbs looked really cool,too. I wanted to get 4 or more fire mouths with 5 or more tiger barbs, until I read that sometimes they don't get along. If you have had experience with firemouths and tiger barbs, please tell me if they're a good combination. If they are, will my 55 gallon aquarium be big enough, and if they aren't, what are some good replacements for tiger barbs?

Thank you!:thanks:

Hi, after my goldfish died, I've been wanting to fill my aquarium back up. After researching all different kinds of fish that are commonly used as pets, I decided that firemouth cichlids would be the best for me to have. I also decided that I wanted more than just one kind of fish, and I thought that tiger barbs looked really cool,too. I wanted to get 4 or more fire mouths with 5 or more tiger barbs, until I read that sometimes they don't get along. If you have had experience with firemouths and tiger barbs, please tell me if they're a good combination. If they are, will my 55 gallon aquarium be big enough, and if they aren't, what are some good replacements for tiger barbs?

Thank you!:thanks:

The tiger barbs are probably not going to be a problem but a 55 is good for maybe a pair, trio tops.

thanks! oh, one more thing, if i don't want my fire mouths to mate, would there be a certain gender that would be better to get if i wanted them all to be the same gender?

You'll need a larger school of the barbs otherwise they will focus their "nippy-ness" towards the other fish instead of them selfs. I would go for 1 male and 2 females personally, they will spawn but if the eggs hatch the fry won't make it more than a week in a community setting.

I have Thorichtys sp. "Gold Mixteco" in my 55 with X. helleri Rio Otapa and Knife livebearers. Even with the adults being great parents the fry don't last more than two weeks tops.

i heard that clown loaches can calm tiger barbs down when you have less tiger barbs, but i also heard that they can really huge, and my 55 gallon aquarium might not be big enough. do you think that getting a clown loach with the tiger barbs would be a good idea, or should i just get more tiger barbs?

i heard that clown loaches can calm tiger barbs down when you have less tiger barbs, but i also heard that they can really huge, and my 55 gallon aquarium might not be big enough. do you think that getting a clown loach with the tiger barbs would be a good idea, or should i just get more tiger barbs?

Just get more tigerbarbs. They're less expensive and stay small. If you get a clownloach, it's true they school together sometimes, but my tiger barbs weren't dumb and could tell the difference. I had to get my clown some friends because the barbs kept swimming away from him.

how does 3 fire mouths and 6 or 7 tigers sound?

I would bump the barbs up to 9-11 personally.

Thorichthys meeki are hard to sex at a small size so trying to get 3 females is near impossible. I would prefer a pair or breeding trio which has 2 females and 1 male, the barbs will quickly dispatch the fry so that shouldn't be a concern. I would start out with 6-7 juvies and go from there.

I would bump the barbs up to 9-11 personally.

Thorichthys meeki are hard to sex at a small size so trying to get 3 females is near impossible. I would prefer a pair or breeding trio which has 2 females and 1 male, the barbs will quickly dispatch the fry so that shouldn't be a concern. I would start out with 6-7 juvies and go from there.

Sounds like a solid plan to me.

Back
Top Bottom