Firemouth Feeding Behavior

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DustinGerard

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I purchased a juvi Firemouth about 2 months ago and the very first day i got him he ate with no hesitation, no matter which food i fed him. I mainy stick to NLS, but occationally ill throw in a hikari algae wafer for the botom feeders or some carnivore mix for a weekly treat. Hed eat anything for about 3 weeks. Then all of a sudden he stopped. Now he goes to the food and spits it out, no matter what it is. Hell even chase other fish who grab the food first so they spit the food and then he picks it up only to spit it out again! As of now he is the biggest fish in the tank with mainy loaches, rainbowfish, and catfish. I read somewhere that Firemouth Cichlids are not picky, yet he seems like the pickest of any fish Ive ever had! Ive tried NLS 2mm, 1mm and .5mm, shrimp pellets, algae wafers, unshelled peas, bloodworms, and the carnivore pellets and he rejects it all! Is this normal? It seems like its been over a month since ive seen him eat, but he still looks great and healthy! Im just worried he wont grow correctly without proper nutrition.

I am pretty sure it is a he. I was post a picture tonight. He is about 2 inches and like i said he appears completely healthy and also eager to eat. He comes to he top while feeding but will refuse all food. So its like hes starving but still being picky!

So i finally solved the mystery!! I realized there was one thing i hadnt tried and that was flake food. I just fed him NLS pellets and he didnt want it (after trying just those for a week) and so i bought some flakes today and he loves them! If anyone else is having the same problem as me and comes across this, please try feedig your Firemouth flakes! It may be your answer too!!

Back
Top Bottom