Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Cichlid Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-06-2013, 11:48 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Firemouth food/care???

Hello fish lovers!!!!!

I purchased two firemouths the other day, and I am IN ABSOLUTE LOVE. They are the only two fish in the tank, and I'm unsure about the sex's unfortunately. Anyways....

What are some good non-expensive foods I could feed them to boost their colors and health? Are there any fun veggies for them too? Tank mates? The tank is a 76 gallon. (Yea I know, strange tank size). Thanks!!!!

7g
TankMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 12:04 PM   #2
Great white snark

Tank of the Month Award

They will eat anything, when I feed mine commercial foods, I get blood worms, frozen beef heart, and hikari cichlid pellets. I don't like any of the Tetra brand foods.

For tank mates, you can go with giant danios, loaches (the larger species) pictus cats, synodontis cats, etc.

I have two tanks of firemouths. One tank has giant gold danios, gold dojo loaches, 2 bristlenose plecos, and 3 pictus cats.

The other is a larger tank, 2 jack dempseys, 2 syno cats, 10 clown loaches (yes 10), 2 pictus cats, giant dojos.

AA ToS
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/misc.php?do=sknetwork&page=tos
DragonFish71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 02:39 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonFish71 View Post
They will eat anything, when I feed mine commercial foods, I get blood worms, frozen beef heart, and hikari cichlid pellets. I don't like any of the Tetra brand foods.

For tank mates, you can go with giant danios, loaches (the larger species) pictus cats, synodontis cats, etc.

I have two tanks of firemouths. One tank has giant gold danios, gold dojo loaches, 2 bristlenose plecos, and 3 pictus cats.

The other is a larger tank, 2 jack dempseys, 2 syno cats, 10 clown loaches (yes 10), 2 pictus cats, giant dojos.
Hmm. Are they overly aggressive? I've heard they can be shy at times too
7g
TankMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 03:00 PM   #4
Great white snark

Tank of the Month Award

They have their moments of aggression, mainly when spawning but there can be territory spats. I wouldn't call them shy, more like reserved until they get used to things.

They are very easy to care for. Give them caves, give them plants, clean water and good food, you'll enjoy them.

AA ToS
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/misc.php?do=sknetwork&page=tos
DragonFish71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 03:01 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

Mine is a pussycat. In with Harlequins, Emporers and corys amongst others. Only time it's been agressive is occasionally with other similar sized and shaped cichlids newly introduced, until boundaries are worked out. A breeding pair might be a nightmare though.

Tags
firemouth, food

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com