Firemouths

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Once they are free swimming you can move them. It is fun though to watch them raise the fry for a bit. They will take the whole group on outings to explore various areas of the tank. Sort of reminded me of school field trips. It was like they were teaching the little ones about different parts of their surroundings.

you really need to switch that gravel for sand. They are big time diggers and gravel can cause issues for them.

How urgent is it to switch the substrate?
I will but I don't think I could do it today. Maybe this weekend but that is a big-time project.

Sent from my iPod touch using Aquarium Advice

Doesn't have to be. Put tank water,.filter media, heater and air stone in a 10 gal tub or cooler. Empty tank and add sand. Take a few hours. Do you have a wet/dry vac?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Yes and I don't really know how to maintain sand. How do you siphon sand?

Also I read in a book that they like medium sized gravel or smaller. The gravel I have is medium sized and I would really prefer to not have to change.

I guess it could work... I would go with green barbs. They would go really well with the color of the firemouths.

I am planning on switching out my gravel for some sand asap for my Firemouths because at feeding time yesterday one of my firemouths got a piece of gravel stuck in their mouth and was swimming around panicking for about a minute and a half before they were finally able to spit it out. I was afraid I was going to lose them for a minute there! I definitely recommend like the others are saying because I've witnessed their need to dig, and it almost got one of my poor guys killed! Learn from my mistake lol

Back
Top Bottom