First 150 gallon build!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
She has so much holey rock to hide in it's still rough. I'll get it done though. I wish I had gotten a long tank and not a tall one like I did.

i think that you should be kind of hasty in the egg tumbling thing.
im sorry italy for not explaining my DIY tumbler to you! x
your female is showing the same behavious as mine did - she done this for four days. the fourth day she attempted to work bits of food around the eggs in her mouth. the fith day, she'd eaten them :(
imo if u can catch her, do. it will help your experiment and possibly save you alot of babies! thats just me tho :) xx

Found out the cobue afra is male, unsure of the white top still. The acei I think there are two males and I female. The rustys I think are both males but it could be a make and female i wasn't positive.

Well as far as the rustys go one is a little bigger than the other one and has lots more purple on him as where the smaller one is just rusty. Lol there is defiantly a dominant one and no real interest in breeding it seems so Maybe two males.
The labs I just can't tell, they all act the same.
I've seen some shimming from one of the acei in his little cave. Other than that they just swim in a little group. No fighting or anything.
The white top afra is tough to tell because I've barely had it a week and haven't been able to observe it very much. Also it's hard to vent because of it's size and just where it's always swimming at.
And finally the giant demasoni are even smaller than the afra and are always in the middle of the tank so it's very difficult to see underneath them.

fair enough, excellent attempts!! now i just need to figure out how to vent an oscar... lol.
i think with the rustys, u may have a submissive (plain rusty) and a dominant male pair.
maybe 2 fem aceis, but one has never spawned so the vent looks male.
updates when possible! x

The tank isn't at the house I'm actually living at right now but will be soon. And then I'll have more time to spend gazing endlessly at them. Haha so I'm sure I'll know more soon.
Plus I almost have the top built for the tank. It's gonna be pretty nice.

apparantly fully 100% impossible to tell until they pair up and breed. even then people guess which one is what, until one actually lays eggs.
my bigger one seems to have a bigger hill like thing (as if it were a females vent) and the smaller is uch flatter down there, with a sharper and more defined thorn like appendage. plus the smaller is more bossy, brave and dark, but they can all be female things too :S
i just hope they arent both males!!

hows the fish? none bullied or anything? xx

Yeah that would make things more difficult with the oscars. Lol
All my fishes are good. The female that's holding ate a little bit last night and her little pouch looks smaller than it used to be. So I don't know whats going on with that. As fat as aggression I haven't really had any to speak of. My fuelleborni was a little bossy in the old tank and got my sunshines eye in a fight for dominance but since they are in the 150 I haven't seen any

Not right now I don't but i do plan on adding a few more fish. 1 or 2 more fuelleborni females, some female peacocks, and 3 more hap Moori that I have ordered. I'm excited about them. Then I've been looking at other ones and I want a pair of malawi eye biters. I just don't know much about them. Do you?

ask garfy, he has one! he says his is naturally a very agressive fish, but his are ok with the others in the tank. it is in with a few africans like labs? i think. so they can be community.
they do need alot of space though!
and go for the hap mooris, they are little stunnaz :)

Eye biters are beautiful fish.Really stunning fish.Can grow up to about 10" but a 150 G should be fine for them.It is a predatory fish but I've had mine now for about 6 months.He chases a little just to prove his prowess but never seems to bite.Mines about 6" long and he is the boss of my tank.He's in with mbuna's,haps and peacocks.Good tank mates for them are electric blue haps,blue dolphins,deep water haps.He has a huge mouth and can eat a whole frozen brine shrimp cube in one bite.
I think they would be excellent parent's as I don't think they would have any trouble defending their young.Would be a big brood though maybe 150 fry because of the sheer size of their mouth's.
Hope this is helpful to you :)

It is very helpful. Probably gonna have to add a pair to my tank. And I've actually seen one with a mouth full of fry on Planet Earth freshwater part about Malawi. I'm pretty sure that's the fish the showed. I'm going to start doing research on them, my lfs has one of them, I think female, I just don't know where I would get the mate to it.

The female is silver and the male is bright blue with orange fins.
As for finding them to buy.I was lucky that one of the not so lfs I visit from time to time had 3 of them so I bought a male and was going to buy the other 2 but when I returned a week later they had been sold.
Perhaps you could order them online or get your lfs to order them for you I'm sure they would be only to happy to help :)

Back
Top Bottom