First 150 gallon build!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bully405Customz

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I finally picked up the tank last night, it's 4'x2'x31". I got it cheap because it needed resealed and I was dreading cutting out all the old silicone, but when I got there to pick it up re guy had already done that so all I have to do it put new silicone in it and I'm good to go! The picture of the tank is a little rough because I took it last night but it works. It's gonna be stocked with all my current Malawi's plus some more of course. Lol I have the stand build already, so I will be spending the next couple days painting and sealing while I wait for the Fluval fx5 to come in. I also will be building a sump at some point in this build But i think i will wait to Get it up and running first. I'll add more pictures as I go along. Any comments/criticism is more than welcome!

Attachments

• image-305951508.jpg
    image-305951508.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 331
  • image-3377945398.jpg
    image-3377945398.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 338
  • image-658247257.jpg
    image-658247257.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 328
  • image-209318506.jpg
    image-209318506.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 334
  • image-3730619552.jpg
    image-3730619552.jpg
    52 KB · Views: 346
allright Bully, Ill be watching. Good deal I would make sure and wipe down with amonia and check for any after remnant of Silicone.

Oh I'm going home tonight to clean very very well before I start to reseal. What silicone would you suggest I use? It's gonna be pretty epic in the end(for me at least)

GE1 with no anti mildew stuff. you can get the colored stuff too (Black) but thats a minor thing compared. Just get it done right so it can cure for 48 to 72 hours

Last edited:
LOL do it right the first time I meant. I didnt use the Black myself (was going to ) I did a smaller tank and it worked great. keep lots of paper towles handy

I might use black for the back sides and bottom because I'm going to paint the back. I'll defiantly do it right the first time, especially with how much pressure that's gonna be on it. I'm hopefully going to seal it up tonight if everything goes as planned

Read the small print Ya I was thinking GE Type 1 but I heard Dap can be used also. as long as it does not have Mildew resistant stuff in it.

I will make sure to read the fine print but it's "food grade" after it's dried so I'm sure that's good enough. And I got black latex paint for the back of the tank... What is the best way to apply it? Roller?

Got it sealed. Now to wait... I'll be going to get some sand and holey rock. Can I have to much limestone? I don't want it to buffer the ph to high.

Attachments

• image-101586313.jpg
    image-101586313.jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 273
I'll just have to test and see as the month progresses. As soon as I can get water in it I will and put a HOB from my 55 to cycle it. No plants this time. Lol they love destroying the ones j have now

Thanks! I have a check list like a mile long. I will probably Sand the rim and paint it tonight. Then more sanding and painting on the stand, after that will be to test for leaks and acquire my substrate and rocks which won't be to bad. I hope to have it up and cycling with a seeded filter from my 55 by sunday. I also have to double check the supports under the house but that should be fine. When I actually went and got the tank Sunday I didn't want the stand and the guy gave me a cobue afra I've been wanting for a while. The picture isn't the best, he changes color so much!

Attachments

• image-3442776619.jpg
    image-3442776619.jpg
    66.6 KB · Views: 218
Thanks! I have a check list like a mile long. I will probably Sand the rim and paint it tonight. Then more sanding and painting on the stand, after that will be to test for leaks and acquire my substrate and rocks which won't be to bad. I hope to have it up and cycling with a seeded filter from my 55 by sunday. I also have to double check the supports under the house but that should be fine. When I actually went and got the tank Sunday I didn't want the stand and the guy gave me a cobue afra I've been wanting for a while. The picture isn't the best, he changes color so much!

Good luck cycling! I hope it goes quickly, it is great that you have seeding material available, as it makes it go by much quicker!

Back
Top Bottom