first chiclid tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Sharkbait54, nice photos of a really pretty fish. Is it yours? How large does it get and how difficult would caring for it be to a beginner like me? I don't want to kill fish through inexperience.

I have a 25 gallon tank and kept electric yellows and they did great!

Yep he's mine severum mamma said they were great starter apistos. Very easy to take care of. Only thing is they are 40$ a pair but I think it's worth it!!

My guy is like 2-3inches long

Sillyfishies said:
There's a lot prettier apistogramma like apistogramma trifasciata.

That's pretty but it kinda looks like a betta.
The cockatoo black and red look stunning and it's an overall easy fish.

Sharkbait54 said:
That's pretty but it kinda looks like a betta.
The cockatoo black and red look stunning and it's an overall easy fish.

I personally dislike it. To me it looks like some hillbillies car :p!

Let's get a little more clarification. Are you looking to do African or south/central American

Yellow labs (african) will work in a 29 but you would need to really watch for your male to female ratio. A 1:3 ratio would be fine and you could even add some more females if you would like.

If you're doing new world (CA/SA) I would recommend rainbow cichlids (herotilapia multispinosa - In the process of debate of class) with any apistogramma species, especially cockatoo dwarf cichlid (apistogramma cacatuoides). With the size tank I would only do a pair of each.

Petsmart is crap when it comes to selection. Find a reputable local store and see what they have first. Ask to see what they can order that week and usually if they place a special order you get a discount since its an easy and quick sale for them.

Unfortunately, when it comes it my area, it's Petsmart or a 45 min. trip elsewhere and I can't afford the extra gas expenses.

crazyjim30 said:
Aquabid? Never heard of it. I'll check it out. Thanks.

Great site. Don't be intimidated by the prices you see because a lot of times it's not for just one fish they usually come in lots of around 3-7

Back
Top Bottom