First Cichlid tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ccross

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Getting ready to set up my first Cichlid tank. Its a 29g. I am starting from scratch here and have never had cichlids before. I could really use any help or recommendations I can get while setting it up. I want my fish to be happy and healthy when I add them!

First off, what would be the best type of cichlids to stock in a 29g? I know its not huge but, i know there are variety's that will live in a 10g so 29 has to be sufficient for something.

Just start out with a couple fish let's say 3-4. If you have problems with Ph levels buy a large piece of coral. You can start with allot of stuff just don't get anything that's going to get over 10 inches. Me I really like Jack dempseys and would recommend one of them. But really depends on what you are interested in. If You think of getting a Dempsey let me know and I will help you in picking a good one.

Just start out with a couple fish let's say 3-4. If you have problems with Ph levels buy a large piece of coral. You can start with allot of stuff just don't get anything that's going to get over 10 inches. Me I really like Jack dempseys and would recommend one of them. But really depends on what you are interested in. If You think of getting a Dempsey let me know and I will help you in picking a good one.

How big will a Dempsey get and are they ok in just 29g? I have what I think is a white tail acei that a friend is giving to me as well. HE had it with a dempsey and it was aggressive.

JD's need way more tank space then that. You really need to read all the information on here before you buy anything..Welcome to the forum

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f100/welcome-to-the-cichlid-forum-76600.html

I dont intend to purchase anything until i have the tank cycled and ready. I have lots of time to research.

I do have this guy coming already from a friend. Just not sure what he is yet. They say he's an electric blue johanni but I think he looks more like a white tail acei.
img_1764746_0_36d8d7ff4a2428c92acdddd7165c6183.jpg

They get about ten inches. Take about 4-5 years to get full size. They prob didn't get along because its mixing a south American fish with an African. I do this all the time but allot of people don't recommend it. I like the variety of the different fish. I have found allot of jacks are not picky with other fish or aggressive but others say they get real aggressive, I still have not seen this yet with any I have had.

They get about ten inches. Take about 4-5 years to get full size. They prob didn't get along because its mixing a south American fish with an African. I do this all the time but allot of people don't recommend it. I like the variety of the different fish. I have found allot of jacks are not picky with other fish or aggressive but others say they get real aggressive, I still have not seen this yet with any I have had.

I'd love an electric blue dempsey but I will hold out till I get my 55g setup. I am looking for types that will not exceed the 4-5inch length.

I wouldn't try keeping mbuna in anything smaller than a 40 breeder. A 29 is really better suited to Ram's or Apisto's, or an established pair of smaller SA or CA cichlids. I've bred pairs of cutteri and oblongums in 29's, but the fry quickly overcrowd the tank and need more space.

I wouldn't try keeping mbuna in anything smaller than a 40 breeder. A 29 is really better suited to Ram's or Apisto's, or an established pair of smaller SA or CA cichlids. I've bred pairs of cutteri and oblongums in 29's, but the fry quickly overcrowd the tank and need more space.

I plan on keeping these in the 29g only for a few weeks. I get my taxes next week and I intend on buying a 55g+. They only need to be in the 29 until the 55 is set up and cycled.

I wish it were that easy, I have a budget to stick too. I can afford a 55, not a 75.

I hear you, and I am not one for encouraging another to spend their money. However, in this case, I would suggest you try and find a used set up in 75 gallon, rather than a new 55. More than likely it would be cheaper, and you get much more tank. Around here a new 75 is $100.

I was thinking an electric blue johanni male and 2 females to start. The females are bright yellow if I remember right.

Be careful with these . . . while they are a small fish, they are extremely aggressive and will often kill other cichlids of a milder temperament as well as other members of their own species. My attempts at keeping small groups of these in a species dedicated tank always resulted in only a single male surviving.

I cant afford a 75G nor do I have the space for a 75G in my apartment so i guess this project is done and over before it started.....

I'll go buy some goldfish.

You can keep cichlids in a 55.Its easy for people with a large budget and plenty of space to tell you what size tank you should have.Stick to your guns and get the 55 and get your cichlids.All will be fine as long as you take the size of the tank into consideration :)

Lots of vics stay in the 4 inch category, are colorful, and full of personality that will breed in a 55g.

Back
Top Bottom