First cichlid tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Taff1835

Aquarium Advice Regular
This is my first attempt at keeping cichlids. I've just set up a 55g long, the backing is due soon. Need help with stocking SA, how many would the tank fit comfortably, should I mix sex, are plants a bad idea. Also want parrot cichlids and 3-4 clown loaches. All hints, tips and help welcome.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Looks nice! Is that holey rock in there? If so, you might want to think about African cichlids, since holey rock may raise your pH, which is better for African cichlids than for other types of fish.

Yea it's honey rock and 30kg of coral sand, I have more rocks but this way there are some nice cave systems and I didn't want to over cram it.

Agree, this setup is aimed more at Malawian cichlids, rather than South American (or hybrid parrots)

My mistake when i put SA I was thinking South African lol.
As for the backing I have the fake rock wall on order

Oh good! That's a relief: your set-up looks great for African cichlids! (And more specifically, as freakgecko noted above, Malawi cichlids.)

I would skip the parrots and the clown loaches, then, since they are not really compatible with your set up. Plus, clown loaches need a much bigger tank.

Instead of loaches, I recommend some type of synodontis for bottom dwellers.

Thanks for advice. I'm not sure what the freakgecko looks like I've tried google images but there seems like 8 or 9 different fish. I'll ditch the idea of the clowns and have a look for something else. Am also very tempted for a pair of zebra plecs.

Freakgecko is the person who posted about Malawis before, not a type of fish (at least not that I know of)!

Freakgecko91 looks like an iguana that has oscar for a head. Rather strange creature. Seriously though, Stick to Africans. You're not wanting to battle water chemistry to keep sa/ca happy

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom