First Cichlid Tank, need serious help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I have 55g cichlid tank w/ 2 yellow labs, 2 cobalt blue, 2 johani and 2 arautus (the most aggressive of the bunch) 2 plecos, 2 columbian sharks (gift but they need a new home) and a bumblebee cat.... I too had a problem with aggression but let's not loose site of the fact that in the fresh water world, african cichlids are an aggressive species.
Kudos to the up-size... but keep in mind, there is a difference between over/under stocked vs. crowding the tank. Cichlids need to be crowded to REDUCE aggression (however, they will always be aggressive). With that said, the ratio between male: female will also aid in aggression.... All male tank will calm things down if there is no competition for the ladies and a 1:3 ratio will result in the same.... but a predominately male tank with a couple of females will result in fights to the death!!
As for the plecos... if they are common plecos, you’re gona need a bigger tank with a min 48" long and the deeper the better (they can grow very large) and if the tank is too small, they will develop spinal deformation over time.
The yellow labs... black on the underside (pelvic.and annul fins) egg sack patterns on the annul fins and a nice bold black dorsal fin = male.

that is not a good way to sex labs, females and males can look the same. either way it is not important to really sex labs as much as it is for other species, but the only sure way is to vent them, for a 55 gallon tank i would recommend around 15-20 cichlids depending on species. yellow labs are compatible with a lot of different cichlid species as long as the numbers are right. you will also need excellent filtration. i recommend keeping at least four of each species. and try to keep a 1m to 3f ratio. if you want to add more than four of the species try to make sure you are adding females not males.

I agree with venting (not to confuse "VENTING" deep water fish) as a surfire way to sex any fish, however, it is extremely difficult when they are small and color ID IS the method used, afterall... it is a 50/50 chance with some species...lol
Yes, yellow labs are compatable with different species...from the same lake. I must caution the use of words... Keep Malaui with Malaui, Victoria with Victoria as a good measure and never mix African Cichlids with South American Cichlids!

Okay, so my new tank is going to be 48" long x 16" wide x 13" deep (calculated to about 43 gallons). I am building it myself, its going to be a wooden framed coffee table aquarium with a glass top :) Just gotta finish gathering supplies and I will start the building process. Any comments or concerns about a coffee table aquarium?

My yellow labs are still really young and have no differences in color so I will have to wait to sex them. Once again, I was told that my common pleco would be fine in a 4' tank. But after doing research, I see that he won't be as happy as he could be. Sadly I will be taking him back for resale... Would a red tailed shark be a good replacement? Or is a 4' tank too small for him to be happy at his full size?

Here is what I am thinking for stocking when my large tank is done
My 3 yellow labs- Will add a female or two if needed when I can accurately sex them
4 Yellow Tailed Acei
1 Red Tailed Shark

my tank is properly stocked and kept. My yellow lab male is by far the most aggressive male. He only spawns with one yellow female. He goes bananas when its almost spawning time. He beat one of the other lab males almost to death. Now (Rocky) is in my sump and will be rehomed. It will be a few weeks because most of his tail is gone. My red zebra who is the largest cichlid in the tank is very calm.

Jmedic, can I ask your stocking list and tank size? Starting to sound like my only solution is trial and error, as they all have different personalities and aggression levels. Apparently they can't read the pages that classify them as mildy agressive or semi-aggressive :)

Back
Top Bottom