First F1 Cichlids arrived ^_^

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SonicsDC25

Aquarium Advice Freak
Got 6x F1 Jalo Reefs and 6x F1 Ps. Saulosi today (y). They're all looking healthy so far and I wasn't planning on feeding them for the first night; however they've been grazing on 2 of my rocks that have brown algae/diatom all day lol.

At first glance, it seems I may have a 2M:4F Jalo Reef ratio and a good chance at 5M:1F Saulosi ratio, but they're all only about 1 inch big with some Saulosi being a tad smaller than that.

Thanks for looking, pics & videos below! :thanks:

55 Gallon Malawi Jalo Reef & Saulosi Cichlid Tank - YouTube
Cynotilapia sp. Jalo Reef & Pseudotropheus Saulosi - YouTube

Receiving the box in the morning
mh8d.jpg

Nicely insulated
0lbk.jpg

Drip acclimating Saulosi
ot1i.jpg

Jalos floating in tank
76s1.jpg

x4o7.jpg

kvog.jpg

p8k2.jpg

uouk.jpg

w32j.JPG

vm80.jpg

9bru.jpg

r83s.jpg

40dv.jpg

4d4n.jpg

Got 6x F1 Jalo Reefs and 6x F1 Ps. Saulosi today (y). They're all looking healthy so far and I wasn't planning on feeding them for the first night; however they've been grazing on 2 of my rocks that have brown algae/diatom all day lol.

At first glance, it seems I may have a 2M:4F Jalo Reef ratio and a good chance at 5M:1F Saulosi ratio, but they're all only about 1 inch big with some Saulosi being a tad smaller than that.

Thanks for looking, pics & videos below! :thanks:

55 Gallon Malawi Jalo Reef & Saulosi Cichlid Tank - YouTube
Cynotilapia sp. Jalo Reef & Pseudotropheus Saulosi - YouTube

Receiving the box in the morning

Nicely insulated

Drip acclimating Saulosi

Jalos floating in tank

They look good bud, where did you order from?

The Wet Spot in Portland, Oregon, the best selection of cichlids on the west coast, if not the U.S. IMO :) .

Awesome ill have to check them out. Was the shipping horrible?

I live only 3 hours away, so it only cost me $25 for overnight shipping, but I think they charge $35 for other states that are further away :razz: But for F1's and also wild caught cichlids, I'm more than happy to pay it :lol:

I live only 3 hours away, so it only cost me $25 for overnight shipping, but I think they charge $35 for other states that are further away :razz: But for F1's and also wild caught cichlids, I'm more than happy to pay it :lol:

I'm still new to Africans but yes there is a guy 6 hours from me who has a decent stock on Africans and its only 22$ for FedEx overnight guaranteed by 10am

Love your tank! Where'd you get your rocks from?

Thanks Erik & jhawk, I'm not sure what the rock's technical name is, but I got them from a relative's garden and yard. These rocks are used to support house foundations & gardens, so they're not too hard to find.

Fed them for the first time this morning before work, they really barred/colored up good

Keep an eye out for Jalo & Saulosi. I had to pull a few Saulosi out cause the big boss Jalo aka Bob Marley was hunting two of them down for sometime long ago. Not sure if it was that the Saulosi were growing very slow and the Jalo were double their size. They are all back in and all is well. Good luck & they look great

Keep an eye out for Jalo & Saulosi. I had to pull a few Saulosi out cause the big boss Jalo aka Bob Marley was hunting two of them down for sometime long ago. Not sure if it was that the Saulosi were growing very slow and the Jalo were double their size. They are all back in and all is well. Good luck & they look great

Yeah I've been keeping a close eye to make sure no bullying goes on by the Jalos, so far so good.

are those LED lights? that is so cool! Love the rock placement to

I think that the parents are WC -wild caught and these are offspring from them. And if these ones had babies I think they'd be f2.

Yeah f1 means first generation of tank bred from wild caught f2 means second generation from wild caught. The problem with f2 is these are often born from the breeding of f1 siblings so aren't generally of the quality of f1s.

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Yep, pretty much F1's are the children of wild caught (WC) parents and F2 are the offspring of the F1's. As for quality, F1's are usually pretty great quality, however a lot of people have line bred the top quality fish from same genetics and came out with VERY top quality fish.

Back
Top Bottom