First lab!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BettaJesseBetta

Aquarium Advice Activist
Got my first electric yellow lab today saw she was lonely so I took her (I think) home and in about 4 days when petsmart get their shipment I'll get a couple more anyone have an idea on the sex I guessed female cause of the lack of black on the underside but idk if that is wives tale or notImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1398736861.997729.jpg
Sorry for the bad picture it's just a jumpy little thing won't stay still at all!

Can labs and kenyi be together and if not what would be a good stocking ratio for a 46g bf with a fluval 405 canister aqadvisor says I can have 7 but idk if that's safe and if it is what would the male/ female ratio be on 7 will 2m/5fm work?

I personally would not put Kenyis with labs as Kenyis can be aggressive. I would go with something blue for your tank like a sulphur heads or Ahli's. And for the amount of fish I would say that about 4 or 5 because the bow fronts don't have a very large foot print

Female it's doesn't have any egg spots on the anal fin. Also yes if there is barely any black on the dorsal fin

I personally would not put Kenyis with labs as Kenyis can be aggressive. I would go with something blue for your tank like a sulphur heads or Ahli's. And for the amount of fish I would say that about 4 or 5 because the bow fronts don't have a very large foot print

Kenyi males are mean SOB, females can be too. I used to breed Kenyi's, and they are very territorial/aggressive.

Also Sulpher (Maylandi) heads are black/yellow unless you mean Sulpher head Haplochromis, or Otopharanx lithobates which is commonly mislabeled as Sulpherhead.

Look at Psuedotropheus, and cynotilapia genus, also other labidochromis genus. Hongi island is one of my favs.

3-5" generally. Each species has variations. So look at individual fish within each group.

When I was looking id google say "cynotilapia" scroll the the pictures. Pick one I liked, find out what it is, and read up on it.

Where would I get hongi island labs?
I have one lfs and it's a saltwater shop does order freshwater fish for me but besides that petsmart is my best bet

I'm lucky I have a few speciality fish stores here. Here is a topic about some good places to order http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/showthread.php?t=307759

Livefishdirect.com is 15 min from my house. Like I said I'm pretty lucky. Their store is pretty sweet. And their fish look great. They are all locally breed in a natural hot spring, or in huge farm tanks.

What's nice about ordering fish direct from a breeder is the fish are generally a lot healthier. The fish at petsmart generally change hands (tanks) 6-7 sometimes 8 times before getting to you. With a breeder the fish is moved from the breeding tank to the store tank, to you. A lot less stressful on the fish.

Back
Top Bottom