First Pictures

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

acejock999

Aquarium Advice Regular
Well, I finally got this thing going. I loaded in my first fish today. 6 Peacocks. I don't really know what they are. I will add more pictures. I plan on adding a bit more rock structure to cover up the tank in the back and some plants to cover the heater.

Attachments

• DSC03587.jpg
    DSC03587.jpg
    211 KB · Views: 180
  • DSC03589.jpg
    DSC03589.jpg
    184 KB · Views: 180
  • DSC03592.jpg
    DSC03592.jpg
    125.5 KB · Views: 170
  • DSC03597.jpg
    DSC03597.jpg
    108.1 KB · Views: 184
I am almost positive that one with all the different color spots is an OB peacock. They grow up to be beautiful!

You have a all aulonocara peacocks OB peacock, Sunshine peacock (one of my favorites), Jacobfriebergi, and the last pinkish one goes by many names most common names are dragons blood, strawberry and fire fish all beautiful fish when they get older. One is going to dominate and get the best coloring.

You have a all aulonocara peacocks OB peacock, Sunshine peacock (one of my favorites), Jacobfriebergi, and the last pinkish one goes by many names most common names are dragons blood, strawberry and fire fish all beautiful fish when they get older. One is going to dominate and get the best coloring.

Thanks for the information. I need to start calling them by their names. I tend to use big blue and do forth. They all seem to be thriving and big blue does seem positioned to dominate the tank. He has already staked out his cave.

Thanks for the information. I need to start calling them by their names. I tend to use big blue and do forth. They all seem to be thriving and big blue does seem positioned to dominate the tank. He has already staked out his cave.

Yeah I have nick names for many of my fish as well. You mentioned you didn't know what they were so I figured I would help out. Not sure which one is Big Blue but if it is an Electric Blue then it is a Hap and he will be the tank boss for sure. He will get bigger than the peacocks.

I do appreciate the naming. I got them all from the cichlid tank and the guy said they were all cichlids but as long as they can coexist I am cool. Coexist is a relative term.

I do appreciate the naming. I got them all from the cichlid tank and the guy said they were all cichlids but as long as they can coexist I am cool. Coexist is a relative term.

Haps and Peacocks are cichlids there are thousands of different types of cichlids. Haps grow a little larger, some much larger than the auloncara. Google Haplocromis you will see what I am talking about. They all will get along fine though.

If you can post a better pic of big blue with out the blue tint lighting I will be able to tell you what you have.

Haps and Peacocks are cichlids there are thousands of different types of cichlids. Haps grow a little larger, some much larger than the auloncara. Google Haplocromis you will see what I am talking about. They all will get along fine though. If you can post a better pic of big blue with out the blue tint lighting I will be able to tell you what you have.

Assuming the tank is large enough. Both haps and peacocks can get aggressive when confined. Also you have the individual personality to worry about. I have peacocks that beat on my mbuna every once in a while.

I did a bit of reading and now understand better what you are both saying. I do think the big blue is an electric blue hap. I am going to get more fish today. I currently have 6 in the 90 gal and was told by the guy who helps set it up that I would probably want to get 15-20 as this would help decrease their tendency to be territorial plus I would likely lose a few due to predation and other factors. To date I have lost none. I read somewhere that whereas community tanks should use a rule of 1 inch pet gallon, cichlid tanks should be 1.5 or 2 inches of fish per gallon. Any thoughts?

The local fish store had a limited selection so I was thinking of buying online from a place like live fish direct. Has anyone used them? It looks like shipping is expensive but I like the idea of being able to pick the fish that appeal to me rather than hoping the lfs one day gets a fish I like.

The 1" per gallon is more of a basic guideline. 15-20 peacocks or haps is a good number for your 90. Be careful getting females though it's still only 4" long and the males can get really aggressive with similar colored males when females are around. I've never ordered fish online so I'm not much help. I look for local guys that breed for fun.

Assuming the tank is large enough. Both haps and peacocks can get aggressive when confined. Also you have the individual personality to worry about. I have peacocks that beat on my mbuna every once in a while.

True but generally speaking people recommend they can got together. Peacocks beating on mbuna is the exception not the rule they are typically less aggressive

The 1" per gallon is more of a basic guideline. 15-20 peacocks or haps is a good number for your 90. Be careful getting females though it's still only 4" long and the males can get really aggressive with similar colored males when females are around. I've never ordered fish online so I'm not much help. I look for local guys that breed for fun.

Agreed. I will stress stay away from females it will mess everything up once they start competing its hard to get them to stop.

My goal is to have a male only tank although that just sounds wrong. Got 4 more more fish yesterday. Fish guy says I should be prepared to lose them at a decent rate but so far so good.

This is the one I call Big Blue.
ForumRunner_20131208_053921.jpg

The new ones are the solid orangish one and the lighter orange ones. I don't think they are all the same. They all looked different at the store.

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20131208_053902.jpg
    ForumRunner_20131208_053902.jpg
    68.3 KB · Views: 89
  • ForumRunner_20131208_053943.jpg
    ForumRunner_20131208_053943.jpg
    64 KB · Views: 89
Looks like a blue hap to me but I am looking at it on a mobile app so it's a little hard to see.

I don't see why you would be loosing any but you do want to take a break from adding any more for a few (4-5) weeks while your water chemistry levels out and matches up with the new bio load you introduced.

What's a blue hap? Either way looks like a peacock to me, maybe blue regal?

Electric blue haplocromis. They are often sold with assorted peacocks. Haps look like peacocks but get bigger. But like I said before I can't be sure cause I am on mobile app right now.

Electric blue haplocromis. They are often sold with assorted peacocks. Haps look like peacocks but get bigger. But like I said before I can't be sure cause I am on mobile app right now.
"Electric blue haps" or more commonly called Electric blue ahli are not in the genus haplochromis, but rather sciaenochromis. Just saying.

Back
Top Bottom