First post! How many Africans in a 90G?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CraigMac

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hi all! I'm new to these forums and new to the hobby! I've already learned a lot just from browsing these forums.

I set up a 90 gallon and am keeping African Cichlids. After cycling, I started adding fish slowly, 4 to start. Then I added 2 more. My first questions are how many would be a good number in my 90 gallon? Also, I'm concerned after reading the male/female ratio that I probably have too many male! Is it easy to tell the sexes?

Thanks in advance!

as far as total fish somewhere near 25-30 is fine for Mbuna in a 90G. Sexing the fish can be easy or hard it all depends on the species. post up your stock list or pictures if you don't know

Hi,I also keep Africans..my 75g currently holds 20mins,an all male tank is considerably bettter for aggression compared to having mostly males with minimal females..a healthy ratio is 3 females to every male when having the ladies in house..think you could have around 30 and be ok but that also depends on the fish you have..

Here are some photos:

Attachments

• image-3240536221.jpg
    image-3240536221.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 143
  • image-4278138051.jpg
    image-4278138051.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 125
  • image-918383486.jpg
    image-918383486.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 147
  • image-3157926121.jpg
    image-3157926121.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 140
Water changes(size and frequency) are going to be a factor on stocking levels also.

There's multiple way to do African tanks. Many people will have opinions and suggestions and stocking ideas, but in the end it's usually up to the fish and what they will tolerate.

It's a bad idea to put too few fish in (10-15 in 90g would be pretty small stock and would increase aggression) but you can't shove 50 fish in there and still be comfortable for them and/or keep the water quality good.

:) Good luck and keep us posted.

Thanks. Couple other questions. Any suggestions for catfish and algae eater that would work with them and how many of these, just one good?

Also, how do you house do water changes with a large tank? I have 6 empty gallon milk jugs I filled with water and keep under the tank but 6 gallons isn't enough for a 90 g tank. But I was told to not put water in straight from a hose?

For the water changes get yourself a python water changer or something similar. for a 90G you'll thank yourself because 6 1 gallon jugs won't cut it with Africans, you'll be changing water for hours haha. As far as algae control most people get BRISTLENOSE Plecos. DO NOT get a "common Pleco" they get way too big for your tank(think 12-16" long and 4-5" thick) some people get the upsidedown catfish. other options include a red tailed "shark" or a rainbow "shark" both of which are actually catfish but are called sharks because of their dorsal fin & general shape. Most people say don't put snails in an african tank. I'm one of the few on here that still keeps my snails with them and somehow keeps the peace lol. but that will probably change when the cichlids are fully grown(they're 2.5-3" now)

CraigMac said:
Thanks. Couple other questions. Any suggestions for catfish and algae eater that would work with them and how many of these, just one good?

Also, how do you house do water changes with a large tank? I have 6 empty gallon milk jugs I filled with water and keep under the tank but 6 gallons isn't enough for a 90 g tank. But I was told to not put water in straight from a hose?

Try the Chinese algea eater,several varietys to pick from..have 3 in mine..

Thanks for all the suggestions. On another note, how often should I toss the filter media and replace vs just cleaning and reusing the same media? I have an emperor 400.

Thanks for all the suggestions. On another note, how often should I toss the filter media and replace vs just cleaning and reusing the same media? I have an emperor 400.

Never.

Clean it and re-use it unless the filter media is literally falling apart.

It's bad for your tank to replace the media, they have the majority of the bacteria built on them

For the water changes get yourself a python water changer or something similar. for a 90G you'll thank yourself because 6 1 gallon jugs won't cut it with Africans, you'll be changing water for hours haha. As far as algae control most people get BRISTLENOSE Plecos. DO NOT get a "common Pleco" they get way too big for your tank(think 12-16" long and 4-5" thick) some people get the upsidedown catfish. other options include a red tailed "shark" or a rainbow "shark" both of which are actually catfish but are called sharks because of their dorsal fin & general shape. Most people say don't put snails in an african tank. I'm one of the few on here that still keeps my snails with them and somehow keeps the peace lol. but that will probably change when the cichlids are fully grown(they're 2.5-3" now)

Rainbow Sharks are good for algae control? Really? I never knew!

Never.

Clean it and re-use it unless the filter media is literally falling apart.

It's bad for your tank to replace the media, they have the majority of the bacteria built on them

Make sure you clean it with TANK water and not tap water

So as long as I clean it with tank water I can reuse it over and over again? Good to know!

when it starts to look a litrtle ratty like it's starting to fall apart, just put a new filter behind the old one to get the bacteria to transfer over.

Back
Top Bottom