First tank upgrade

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
@ fishcr8zy - I found some really neat rocks while planting flowers with my mom in her yard today and they looked like rocks people here use in their cichlid tanks and then they also had some cement bricks- not painted or anything - so I took them home with me today but I still have research to do on it

If u plan on getting a 55 gal or bigger. I would look on Craigslist for some good deals. Buying them new is crazy expensive. Lol
I got my 55 gal + stand + 2 hoods for $50 on Craigslist. I only needed to clean it a bit.

@ fishcr8zy - I found some really neat rocks while planting flowers with my mom in her yard today and they looked like rocks people here use in their cichlid tanks and then they also had some cement bricks- not painted or anything - so I took them home with me today but I still have research to do on it

You might want to be careful with rocks from a yard. You never know what kind of chemicals and fertilizers that are on them. I started a forum on rocks and rescaping, so you can look on that and see if it helps, its called 'Purifying Rocks'

Most cement blocks should be fine. U just don't want one that is too heavy. Lol I have a rocky bottomed stream near me and I go and get some cool looking rocks from it then take it home, boil it, cool it down, and put it in tank.
I have also used rocks from backyard

Am I gna b a bad cichlid parent if I don't keep the fry? I mean, clearly I already need a larger tank and then also my 20g is occupied w/ a polka dot loach, 2 snails and 3 fruit fish - I can't really put the females in there w/ those fish so I guess I feel like I need a million more tanks to keep up with these situations o_O

You might want to be careful with rocks from a yard. You never know what kind of chemicals and fertilizers that are on them. I started a forum on rocks and rescaping, so you can look on that and see if it helps, its called 'Purifying Rocks'

I agree with bmarine
U also want to be careful with the chemicals that may have been sprayed in them.
The rocks in my backyard r far away from the grass where the weed killer is sprayed though so I should be fine.

Am I gna b a bad cichlid parent if I don't keep the fry? I mean, clearly I already need a larger tank and then also my 20g is occupied w/ a polka dot loach, 2 snails and 3 fruit fish - I can't really put the females in there w/ those fish so I guess I feel like I need a million more tanks to keep up with these situations o_O

Lol
I have never heard of a fruit fish before. If the fish r around the same size of the cichlids , they MAY be ok. The cichlids shouldn't bother the loach and snails too much.

U dont have to keep the fry. U have a chance of some fry surviving in the 29 gal as long as there r enough hiding spots and the filter is too powerful and sucks them in.

U dont have to keep the fry. U have a chance of some fry surviving in the 29 gal as long as there r enough hiding spots and the filter is too powerful and sucks them in.

Yup i agree. Many people let the fry be born in the tanks, and then whatever lives, lives. Its just like in nature, no one puts the fry in a separate part of the lake in Lake Malawi. I always separate/sell the fry to offset the cost a little, but its your decision. Even my LFS has a show tank and they don't bother with the fry. If some live, they can be part of your tank or you can sell them when they get big enough. And yeah like we said, just be careful with the rocks.

My "fruit fish" lol are a few years old, they have eternal life I swear - bought from Walmart "back in the day" and they are STILL hanging out lol bout the size of a tiger barb.
The thought of little baby cichlids being sucked up in the filter is traumatizing more than them being eaten and now I'm committed to avoid that at all cost and work on giving those little guys a chance.
As far as the rock concern- I decided I'm gna stop acting like a cheap azz and just purchase aquarium stackable hideaways from petco- although I still feel like paying for "rocks" is lame, but I've purchased every other tank decor so why not rocks too lol

My "fruit fish" lol are a few years old, they have eternal life I swear - bought from Walmart "back in the day" and they are STILL hanging out lol bout the size of a tiger barb.
The thought of little baby cichlids being sucked up in the filter is traumatizing more than them being eaten and now I'm committed to avoid that at all cost and work on giving those little guys a chance.
As far as the rock concern- I decided I'm gna stop acting like a cheap azz and just purchase aquarium stackable hideaways from petco- although I still feel like paying for "rocks" is lame, but I've purchased every other tank decor so why not rocks too lol

Lol
Hopefully the rocks r not too expensive. ( I don't knw the prices as I never bought rocks before)
I have some baby koi in a 10 gal right now. That tank have an Aqueon 10 running but I switched to sponge so that they don't get sucked up.

Update: so throughout all my neediness here tonight I have been seeing much more activity from the male- he's not all over the place but he's relocated himself "outside" the entrance of his new favorite log house and has made quite a few partial patrols of his tank- maybe he just needed a few days to adjust - its still gna b a work in progress but at least he doesn't seem as depressed

If u r keeping the fry. U will need baby brine shrimp or something very small to feed them. I recommend raising ur own baby brine shrimp cuz it is like almost free but u can also get the frozen cubes of baby brine shrimp. Just defrost the cube in a cup of water, drain water, then feed to babies.
Also, the babies can have a chance of living if u put all the ones u can catch in a breeder net. Then feed them in there so that the adult cichlids don't eat the shrimp before the babies can get it.

Update: so throughout all my neediness here tonight I have been seeing much more activity from the male- he's not all over the place but he's relocated himself "outside" the entrance of his new favorite log house and has made quite a few partial patrols of his tank- maybe he just needed a few days to adjust - its still gna b a work in progress but at least he doesn't seem as depressed

Ya
Usually fish need time to adjust to their new surroundings before finally coming out and swimming around.
Whenever I get new fish, they hide in some decor for 1-3 days before finally coming out.

Yep the male has been more active today. I have a little bit of white gravel mixed with the sand and today I saw him moving a few pieces of gravel around - hes working on his own redecorating lol
I have noticed hes paying more attention to the females like he did before they were carrying so idk if that's good, I should probably move them into the 20g since no one in there are as big as them except the loach

Yep the male has been more active today. I have a little bit of white gravel mixed with the sand and today I saw him moving a few pieces of gravel around - hes working on his own redecorating lol
I have noticed hes paying more attention to the females like he did before they were carrying so idk if that's good, I should probably move them into the 20g since no one in there are as big as them except the loach

R there other fish in the 29 gal?
Why do u want to move them?

I meant just moving the females away from the male while they're carrying. It's just the 2 females and one male in the 29 g

I meant just moving the females away from the male while they're carrying. It's just the 2 females and one male in the 29 g

Oh ok. It's up to u if u want to move them or not. If u want to save as many fry as u can, move them to other tank. If u don't care if fry survive or not, keep them there.

Back
Top Bottom