first time cichlid bloat.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

molliwopp

Aquarium Advice Addict
One of my rusty cichlids i bought recently has become bloated after feeding. What are the chances of this clearing up by itself?

Right some actually have stringy poop too but arnt bloated. I think it could be malawi bloat. Its just strange that none of them were showing this yesterday after eating, 2 of them look inflated could this be the food or not? What to do next?

Last edited:
Right some actually have stringy poop too but arnt bloated. I think it could be malawi bloat. Its just strange that none of them were showing this yesterday after eating, 2 of them look inflated could this be the food or not? What to do next?

Not 100 percent sure on this, but my Oscars were a little bloated one day, I fed them frozen peas (thawed out) the next day to help with digestion. That's what I heard to do at least. It seemed to work for me...hopefully that helps.

Come On Guys, Where Are You All When I Need You.

Bloated with stringy poop. Malawi bloat treatments needed!!

I normally recommend feeding a anti-protozoa medicated food IF the fish is eating, if it's refusing foods then a water treatment must be utilized as follows.

If the fish is still eating NLS pellets then you can soak them in a 3% Epsom salt solution and feed that exclusively for 10 days.

With regards to the stringy white feces I would go ahead and treat for digestive issues. The best medication for this in my opinion is Clout (this will stain silicone for short time). Follow this schedule and remove all carbon from the filtration as this remove and medication.

Day 1. Perform water change then treat at full dosage.
Day 2. Perform a 30% change and re-dose at full strength.
Day 3. Perform a 30% change and re-dose at full strength.
Day 4. Don't do anything again.
Day 5. Perform water change in excess of 50%.
Day 6. Don't do anything again.
Day 7. Massive water change in excess of 60-70%.
Day 8. Feed and see if everyone is eating.

The last thing I would add is Epsom salt dosed slowly at 1 tablespoon per 5 gallons, then replace the only the salt you've removed from the water changes.

The entire tank must be treated as they have been exposed. The last thing don't feed during this time as the digestive track must be clear.

Best option if they're eating.

Medicated Flake Food for Fish

Second best option is soaking foods in Epsom salts.

Or if they're spitting or refusing foods.

Amazon.com: Sentry AQ Mardel Clout Tabs, 100ct: Pet Supplies

Then the cause of the digestive issues need to be addressed, the most common cause is a poor diet. I'm not going to argue about what your feeding fish but low quality or foods that are hard to digest are the biggest issues.

Clout sounds good but incant get that here in the uk. What chemical is it based on.

Trichlorfon and Nitroimidazole are the two active ingredients. I don't know what's available to you but Metronidazole and Praziquental would be the nest beth options.

After researching medz ive orderd octozin which treats bloat. All the others like metro and clout i cant get in the uk. And metro without subscription from a doc/vet!:O

Last edited:
Might even go to the vet on monday! I know it will be costly but theyre my babies. Also looki g at sera baktopur direct. But i dont think it will get here in time and it destroys the benifical bacteria.

Last edited:
Could of been a false alarm... unless theres 2 rusty dead behind a rock because i no longer see swollen stomachs. Maybe one or 2 had eaten something without me knowing. The definitely had/have stringy poop so put 2 and 2 together. Can cichlids get bloat from other things? Ill be treating them anyway regardless for paracites. I did feed crushed pellets, could a small female possibly of eaten a piece too big and caused alittle bloat?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom