First try with South American cichlids

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ilminded

Aquarium Advice Activist
I'm in the process of starting a planted community tank. My plan was to have Cory catfish, Cardinal Tetras, Oto catfish and either 3 Apistos or 3 rams (2 females and one male). Since I have no experience what so ever with cichlids, so I introduce them first or last into the tank? My goal is to have 2 corners with rock caves and a drift wood in the middle.

Generally I try to introduce them last if possible, this way they won't feel threatened when adding new fish into the territory they've already claimed. But since they're all fairly low on the aggression scale as long as the tank is broken up properly should be good either way. Sounds like a cool tank any pictures yet or still in the planning stage?

Well you should look into doing a fishLESS cycle because none of those fish are hardy enough to withstand the cycling process. After the cycle, in two week increments I would add them in this order...tetras, cories, rams, apistos, otos.

How big is this tank?

It's a 45 gallon. I'll be using 2 CFL's and one Metal halide to try and mimic sun for lighting. Plan on getting CO2 tank (shooting for 20lber). I have dirt to use (Organic Miracle Gro, the peat moss bird poop one) and some rocks. I bought the tank off Craigslist with a stand for $30. Still need to clean it out, did check to make sure it held water already. Still need to buy clay and figure out plants. Still shopping for the perfect piece of DW. Rocks I have been collecting by nearby streams which is sweet as its free. Plan on getting a good canister filter but am always open for recommendations. And as for the cycling, I won't worry much and I will be using Eco Complete as capper and that has the beneficial bacteria on it, if not good in a month, I'll just bring home a filter pad from my HoB at work and use that (trying to avoid it as I'm just getting over a battle of BBA).

I might have to order cichlids, others might get local. Gonna pick up a 10 gallon to use for quarantine. So will see.

Back
Top Bottom