Fish Disappearance!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

haglagwr

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have a 90 gal. tank with 8 africans mostly mbuna. The big ones are a 4-5in. red zebra, unknown zebra mix?, kenyi, and a e.b. johanni. I also have a blue neon peacock 'aulonocara stuartgranti' (told it was a borleyi).

Yesterday i got a beautiful but tiny synondontis angelicus X eupterus catfish about 1.5in. long. Unfortunately after doing a water change, I haven't seen the cat since! Today I took almost all the rocks out hoping it was hiding somewhere, however it is nowhere to be found. I'm assuming that one of the bigger fish ate it! Since the peacock is a carnivore, he could be the culprit but he is only 4 inches.

Is my assumption correct what do you guys think? I'm really bummed it was so cool looking, but should I have never added a cat this small to the mix?

Give him a few days, I've had my catfish for months now and he's just now starting to come out of his shell. They are expert hide and seekers. I swear I never saw mine for a month or more. You never know, there's a good possibility he's in there alive and well!

haglagwr said:
Wow thats amazing I truly hope you're right! Do you think he is at risk for being eaten?

Its a feather fin right? You know its hard for me to say, but think about that spiny fin. Would you try to eat that if you were a fish? Haha I hear they can stick you pretty good. My guess is you would probably notice injuries on the suspect because I don't think a featherfin will go down unnoticed.

It's a hybrid so I think part featherfin? Its dorsal fin looked really nasty, so I agree any fish that may have eaten it, probably won't be digesting very easily. Well you've given me hope, I'll let ya know if/when I see it again!

haglagwr said:
It's a hybrid so I think part featherfin? Its dorsal fin looked really nasty, so I agree any fish that may have eaten it, probably won't be digesting very easily. Well you've given me hope, I'll let ya know if/when I see it again!

Hth! Hope he turns up, if not you'll know who to blame! Watch at night with the lights off too. Its likely you'll see him, even if its only for a second.

He's probably just hiding, my bristle nose pleco is an expert at it! Had him about 3 months and he's only been spotted maybe 4-5 times! One time, during a water change, I removed some of the rocks. I looked at them as I removed them but didn't see him. All of a sudden, my daughter yelled, "daddy there's a fish in the bucket!". He was attached to a rock in a crevice and I didn't see him at all!!

Wow that's crazy craig. He's my first cat in the whole tank so far. Should I drop algae wafers in there at night or just let him scavenge for any uneaten food?

My feather fin and bristle nose pretty much scavenge off the bottom but I do drop algae wafers at night a couple times a week.

Unfortunately I found some bones in one of my power heads. I think he got stuck up there! RIP ha I took a pic of the bones idk if anyone could recognize them.

Attachments

• image-3750600572.jpg
    image-3750600572.jpg
    145.4 KB · Views: 81
  • image-950466669.jpg
    image-950466669.jpg
    144.5 KB · Views: 84
I believe those are actually the pectoral( I think) fins...the side fins haha many catfish have barbs hidden under their flesh on their side fins that they use for self defense, so that'd be my guess. They definitely look to be from a catfish

christine2012 said:
Oh no! I'm very sorry to hear that.

I know same he was cool looking just way too small. I got a 6in. Pleco and a couple other smaller ones with lots of armor and so far so good!

Freakgecko91 said:
I believe those are actually the pectoral( I think) fins...the side fins haha many catfish have barbs hidden under their flesh on their side fins that they use for self defense, so that'd be my guess. They definitely look to be from a catfish

Ok yeah I figured, Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom