Fish ID

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
gonna post this here too cuz its got diff peeps & i want opinions LOL

i just grabbed 3 new 1.5-2inchers tonight.. theyre tiny but i'm hoping they survive & i got all 3 for $15 so i cant complain lol

got a:
female kenyi w/ amazing striping
HOPEFULLY female bumblebee cichlid
& one more i already forgot the name of LOL

the last 2 pics are my already unknown haha .. the dude told me its male species turns blue & this one who is 'likely' female will stay yellow w/ the white spread throughout .. also has some mild brownish / dark yellow striping.. anybody?? i know its not much to go on but take a peek

anyway, i'm happy!! but again, i just hope they survive -_-

Attachments

• image-227943634.jpg
    image-227943634.jpg
    37.6 KB · Views: 77
  • image-3832978118.jpg
    image-3832978118.jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 68
  • image-1232881251.jpg
    image-1232881251.jpg
    52.2 KB · Views: 65
  • image-3082515040.jpg
    image-3082515040.jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 68
& mouth i just wanna show you what the jake (that i now see is def a jake lol) looked like when i first got him.. his color is SHOT lately & i dont know why :(

my levels are
ph 7.6-7.8
ammo 0
nitrite 0
nitrate 10-20 ppm

maybe because he's nipped a bit? but i dont know who's buggin him since whenever the lights on no one bothers him :/

Attachments

• image-1801504659.jpg
    image-1801504659.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 64
  • image-3893111048.jpg
    image-3893111048.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 64
As for colourful females go for kenyi's I'm gonna get me one male and four females at the end of the month.
Males yellow and females blue.Stunning fish

my OB zebra hides all day. ages ago, before the holding incident, she be in the log no signs at all. then the light goes out and she chase everything.
she even spawned in the dark lol
maybe u have a fish like this? one that attacks jake? a telltale sign is the splashing u hear a few minutes after lights out or the unexplained nipped fins. x

and dw everyone, i did ID the 'already unknown' lol! johanni female.

all hail MBF!!! lol

and sooo right.. soon as the light goes lately i hear the splash.. i wanna say its my borleyi because shes the only one who even seems to chase him when the lights are on

ronnie, u r a new level of awesome. ur humour is epic and ur fish variety appeals highly :p
well do what i did. kinda silly but listen anyway ;)
turn the light switch off and sit in the dark for about 3 mins, wait until defo spashes. then, sneak as quietly as poss to the light again, switch it on and look at who is chasing the fish. or, if u can, set up a camera (hide the light of it from them with a towel or something) and when u switch the light on again press record so u can see any behaviour u immediately missed.
i did this (not the camera thing, the 1st one) and saw Peacock (the OB zebra) tearing the scales off the side of my fuelleborni before zooming back into her log. sooo? x

thanks mouthy :) i actually do stand-up in CT so it's always great to hear when someone digs my nonsense lol

what did you do to rectify the tearing torture? rehome or just a time out? LOL

as of now my stock consists of:
1 female borleyi
1 female electric yellow
1 female johanni
1 female bumblebee
2 female kenyi
1 female demasoni
1 female albino golden peacock
1 female red jake
1 male red jake
1 male venustus
1 male flameback
1 male fire fish
1 unknown ob peacock ( hopefully female :) )

still considering rehoming the male & female red jakes if i find any females in one of my LFS that i really fall in love with.. for now, the jakes can hang.. i'm scared to add any more males though, due to advice on aggression

great stocking ratios!! u have good balance in there.
yeah, i suggest if u want more males get like 3 more and take out the worst one(s). so the aggro is low :)
the tearing torture was rectified by herself. one day she was holding. i tried to get the fry, she swallowed them while i spent ages trying to catch her cos of the stress. then i added the new fish (including the fuelleborni) and she attacks a couple, the fuelli the worst but only at night. then she holds again, but this time she chases everything off.
she clearly remembered how last time before i tried to strip her i looked in her mouth a lot through the glass, then the stress etc happened. she ate them one day no apparant reason but was withdrawn. since then, shes been territorial of the log but left everything else alone, as if she was afraid to love again :'(
the fuelleborni died anyway whaen the auratus got it.

wow how often do u do stand up? x

thanks!! i thought it was a pretty legit stock job myself LOL

get 3 more males, you say?? even if my rehomee is female? or did you mean replace a male w/ a male?

it seems the borleyi is my main aggressor but she has some nips herself, as does my venustus.. i've seen the 2 of them lock lips a few times but never really do anything.. they swim w/ eachother all the time and only did the lip lock 2-3 times, that i've seen, so who knows who is getting who lol they are my 2 biggest, if that matters

my big kenyi, who is smaller than both, bosses my borleyi & venustus (which is TWICE her size LOL) around whenever she pleases

now if i removed a female, say my borleyi (which i dont want to cuz her color coming in is quite wild, even though its muted) could i get a male in her place? i'd love to get another flameback so mine had another victoria to play with but its gotta be male.. the females are too plain jane for my liking lol

and i did stand-up a few times a month or so for the past 2 years .. always been a clown though.. just didnt have a microphone LOL

i thought when u said 'im scared to get more males because of agression' i took it as u wanted another male. if u out-and-out want to rehome no more jakes, dont worry.
it does sort of matter, as this means they feel a high dominance and want to claim more territory so could be battling out a heirarchy. its best to leave them to it unless they terrorise the rest of the tank in the process x
yeah, kenyis have a crazy amount of agression for their size. my old male was a level of evil i had no idea of when it was purchased.
flamebacks do the 3 male thing and wind down to one, or if u r lucky two and get another fem or 2 to even it out xx
i dont think u should remove the borleyi. maybe give her a time-out? x

minus the jakes, i think i'm just gonna keep everyone

& i'm gonna keep an eye out for another fish fish or flameback male :) .. mayyyybe male & female flamebacks if i can find em

i think the jakes are def gonna go though.. & if i bring them to my boy's house & they breed, i can def get any colorful males outta that :)

thanks for all your help!!!!!

Back
Top Bottom