Fish ID

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fready

Aquarium Advice Regular
What could this be?
They are 3 months old and got 16 of them

The guy i bought them from told me it were Pseudotropheus elongatus mpanga but i kinda doubt it.

Plz help lol

Attachments

• image-1564584215.jpg
    image-1564584215.jpg
    160.2 KB · Views: 161
  • image-245373073.jpg
    image-245373073.jpg
    157.9 KB · Views: 168
Looks right to me, just hasn't coloured up fully. If your unsure use google images and search results.

But they have yellow on there top fin are they supposed to have that when there small? Anyone that has had elongatus mpanga fry or labidochromis mbamba fry? Or maybe some kind of cynotilapia afra?

Do they look elongated to you guys?

Ive searched my [mod edit] off on google but kind realy find what im looking for.

Attachments

• image-4156228929.jpg
    image-4156228929.jpg
    176.6 KB · Views: 101
  • image-1400031014.jpg
    image-1400031014.jpg
    148.2 KB · Views: 86
Last edited by a moderator:
I have cynotalapia afra hara. But they don't look like your fish. It takes time for fish to colour up. Dud you see the parents of the fish you brought?

I bought them as demasoni's but i soon( an hour after i got home) i knew they werent. So...
Then i asked him polite what they where and he replyed mpanga.
Kinda screwed but thats life lol.

I beleive him that there not hybrids.

I have had cynotilapia afra red top fry and they dont look like that although there not that different but i guess you could say that from "every" mbuna

There should be a fry encyclopedia lol

Maybe elongatus chewere... Those have yellow in the top of the top fin

I guess it's a waiting game to see what they grow into? Lol

Google labeotropheus trewavasae mpanga see what you think? Just s thought .

Yeah ive been waiting for 3+ months now. I hope they get some kind of Color or shape i recognize soon.

Labeotropheus isnt possible.

Im thinking elongatus mpanga or chewere

Thx for the help!!

They are cynotilapia species 100% just not sure which yet as they are too young plus they could be females.

They are some form of Cynotilapia afra , maybe Cobue it's hard to tell since they haven't started to color up. The more important thing is why buy 16 of something if you have no idea what they are?

Mogurako said:
They are some form of Cynotilapia afra , maybe Cobue it's hard to tell since they haven't started to color up. The more important thing is why buy 16 of something if you have no idea what they are?

Just got home and took a close look at my smaller afra cobue, i think mog is right.

I have 3 afra cobue fry in the same tank so i'm also sure it aint that.
Picture is a cynotilapia afra cobue

I'm still thinking that they are in fact elongatus mpanga or chewere.

Attachments

• image-1877070359.jpg
    image-1877070359.jpg
    168.8 KB · Views: 72
Fready said:
I have 3 afra cobue fry in the same tank so i'm also sure it aint that.
Picture is a cynotilapia afra cobue

I'm still thinking that they are in fact elongatus mpanga or chewere.

The patterning isn't quite right for Metriaclima sp. "elongatus chewere" , Pseudotropheus sp. "Elongatus Mpanga" is a possibility but the thing that throws me and leads back to Cynotilapia is the extension of the vertical lines up into the dorsal fin.

I have two juvenile elongatus Mpango and they look similar to yours. Is it possible they aren't showing yellow because they are too young or are female? One of mine is a dominant male and he definitely doesn't look like the picture you've shown but my subdominant looks very similar.

Boogie! They show yellow in there tail and there anal fin but the thing i'm stuck on is the yellow on the top of there top fin.

Could you upload some pictures plz?

I think you are right. When you got them, we're there other types of cichlids in the tank? It isn't unheard of for inter-specie breeding.

Attachments

• image-819377523.jpg
    image-819377523.jpg
    128.4 KB · Views: 67
  • image-1263234625.jpg
    image-1263234625.jpg
    122.8 KB · Views: 64
As you see, even my sub dominant is looking more yellow today than he did yesterday. I'm sorry. How long have you had them? Is it possible that they just need time to adjust? I use Seachem Tanganyika salts (half dose because I have makawi as well) and the colors totally boost after a few days.

Ive had them since they were 1 week old and that was 19/01/2012

They indeed look like them!

I think there color is gona start showing soon.
The guy i got them from cant afford to sell hybrids so im pretty sure they arent.

lesson learned not to buy fish that im not 300% sure of what they are.

They could still turn out to be something else but i can finally get some sleep lol

Thx for the help everyone ill keep this up to date

I think it is a Pseudotropheus sp. "Elongatus Mpanga". although the color looks like that of an acei. There is a pic of one in Cichlid-Forum/profiles/Malawi Mbuna/Pseudotropheus sp. "Elongatus Mpanga/male image. Beautiful fish though.

Update on the fry.

Edit:
When they show dominance they get a vertical stripe in there eyes and there top fin turns kinda blue.

Any ideas?

Back
Top Bottom