Fish ID

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Iceman29

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Can anyone help me identify this little guy. Picture is kinda blurry. Blue zebra? Socolofi? or something else?

Attachments

• 13.jpg
    13.jpg
    192.2 KB · Views: 80
  • 25.jpg
    25.jpg
    210 KB · Views: 75
Seems to be lacking the black that should be visible on the socolofi, is it a new addition or have you had it for awhile? If the former, it may be stressed and full coloration could develope yet. If the later, I'd be more inclined toward the cobalt zebra myself.

Ive had them for about a week now. The bigger of the 2 is showing some black on the tips of his fins and some very light black lines on his body. The smaller one has none of the above that I can see as of now.

Could it be possible that I have one Socolofi and one Cobalt? They were taken from the same lfs and from the same tank, but I could see where they would be easy to mix up the way they look at the moment.

Female socolofi often lack the black markings. The short, somewhat convex rostrum suggested socolofi to me, and I thought there is a hint of black on the anal and pelvic fins in the second pic, but that is just as likely shadows. It could very well be a blue zebra, as well.

WYite

Guess my best bet is to keep an eye on them and wait for them to adjust and grow a little. May be easier to ID as they mature. I see pictures of the socolofi and I go " Thats it"! Then I see pictures of the Cobalt Zebra and go "Thats it"! So Ill just play the wait and see game lol

Could it be possible that I have one Socolofi and one Cobalt? They were taken from the same lfs and from the same tank, but I could see where they would be easy to mix up the way they look at the moment.

Yes, its very possible, depending on the practices of the wholesaler when baggin' fish. Shipments of fish sometimes have "sports", an oddball fish or two of another species that accidently got mixed into the shipment.

WYite

It is, as stated, a difficult call with those two fish. As they mature, the zebras will generally get deep bodied and a little more squat than the socolofi, but even that ins't a guarantee. Did they show any black in the LFS aquarium beyond what you described?

None that I saw. They were all the light blue greyish color that they are in the pictures.

Back
Top Bottom