Fish id

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Not enough yellow for ikola, I agree with moorii

To be specific tropheus moori refers to entire group as it is the species of such fish when identifying a single specimen you need to be more specific not just identifying the species group but the morph aswell to which there are over 40 morphs of.
For example tropheus moorii kasanga, tropheus moorii ilangi, tropheus moori moliro, tropheus moorii chaitika. To name a few.
The fish in this photo is in the species group tropheus moorii however its morph is ikola therefore known as tropheus moorii "ikola" so it can be distinguished.
We must also remember not every fish will have the same colouration as the next especially younger or less dominant individuals.

The "morph" is usually a collection point, so nice try on that one. Second, it's still not a tropheus moorii ikola nor a tropheus sp. ikola. Too much yellow. A species is not going to vary THAT much. An ikola will have a predominantly yellow body. Either way, most collection points offer minute differences and are near impossible to distinguish. This isn't my first post, I understand collection points. But when all you say is tropheus ikola, that refers to a species, not a collection point or even "morph" as you call it

The "morph" is usually a collection point, so nice try on that one. Second, it's still not a tropheus moorii ikola nor a tropheus sp. ikola. Too much yellow. A species is not going to vary THAT much. An ikola will have a predominantly yellow body. Either way, most collection points offer minute differences and are near impossible to distinguish. This isn't my first post, I understand collection points. But when all you say is tropheus ikola, that refers to a species, not a collection point or even "morph" as you call it

Hmmm i think you need to take a look at this before you disagree with my comment this explains everything i just stated Can't argue with pre written facts (not written by me either)

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tropheus_moorii

That just proved basically nothing you said! I wasn't arguing the fact that there are several collection points (or as the article says, "geographical variants") with the species T. moorii.

FYI, a Wikipedia article means nothing to me. On the day that evil kinevil died, it said he was killed by Bigfoot.

Further more you say this is not ikola due to the lack of yellow however here are a few photos i found all ikola

t240441.jpeg

a3f8956d55b31034e4e352441021e5b5e0273ec7-1.jpeg

bef533bafe1fc5544985648fdbd69002fc8cf416.jpeg

ForumRunner_20130407_214158.jpg

ForumRunner_20130407_214214.jpg

ForumRunner_20130407_214230.jpg

ForumRunner_20130407_214245.jpg

ForumRunner_20130407_214257.jpg

I have even seen some with very thin bands of yellow. Or some where the yellow was green, white or brown doesn't mean they are not ikola.

ForumRunner_20130407_214313.jpg

That just proved basically nothing you said! I wasn't arguing the fact that there are several collection points (or as the article says, "geographical variants") with the species T. moorii.

FYI, a Wikipedia article means nothing to me. On the day that evil kinevil died, it said he was killed by Bigfoot.

Actually it proved that tropheus moorii was an entire collection including many different morphs and to use this name to id one specific morph would lead to confusion because there are well over 40 different morphs in the category tropheus moorii thus it doesn't entirely identify the fish to the aquarist

You can tell that the fish in the pic is full grown! Don't show pics of a fish that change extremely heavily from fry to adult and say that it is that, you can't compare apples to oranges!. That's like taking a picture of a baby dubosi and saying that it isn't a dubosi because the pattern doesn't match with an adult dubosi!

And when the collection point is unknown, you have no other option than to call it a moorii. Collection points are not always different, and without knowing its lineage, you can't truly say its one or the other. It could be a handful of other collection points. Don't throw a name on there like ikola when it is clearly NOT an Ikola. Adding a false collection point name onto a species name is NOT beneficial, nor necessary. Just saying moorii is enough to give the OP the necessary information for the care that it requires.

Okay well anyway im really not talking to you im actually talking to the person who started this thread i don't mean to make you feel like im knocking your knowledge but your really taking this too seriously and for no real reason because i do oppose a feasible point.... Anyhow to finish what i had originally intended this is why "i"believe what you have here is ikola these are pictures i found of ikola that look similar to your fish notice the vertical bars have remained distinguished this would be even more so on a young or less dominant adult fish These are only three of quite a few i found to be similar. Perhaps you can take a better photo with more lighting it is hard to make out the complete detail.

ForumRunner_20130407_222506.jpg

ForumRunner_20130407_222520.jpg

ForumRunner_20130407_222542.jpg

Okay well anyway im really not talking to you im actually talking to the person who started this thread i don't mean to make you feel like im knocking your knowledge but your really taking this too seriously and for no real reason because i do oppose a feasible point.... Anyhow to finish what i had originally intended this is why "i"believe what you have here is ikola these are pictures i found of ikola that look similar to your fish notice the vertical bars have remained distinguished this would be even more so on a young or less dominant adult fish These are only three of quite a few i found to be similar. Perhaps you can take a better photo with more lighting it is hard to make out the complete detail.

Also forgot to add when an ikola isn't showing all its colours the single thick yellow patch in the middle of the body typically pictured when you see ikola will usually appear as broken up vertical stripes

Back
Top Bottom