Fish ID at LFS

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tpalmer

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hey guys I saw these fish and wanted to add them to my Malawi tank but I want to do the proper research. Can anyone ID them for me? The last one is a peacock I know but what kind if it has a specific name.

Thanks everyone.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1450486959.305846.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1450486973.821595.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1450486998.038243.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1450487013.671312.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Pic 1 looks like a kenyi
Pic 2 possibly a venustus?(guessing) edit: nvm I don't think it is
pic 3 agree with Caleb (south american so no go for a Malawi tank)
Pic 4 a sulphur head

Pretty sure 1 and 2 are Victorians

3 appears to be a geophagus steindachneri or pelligrini

Pretty sure 1 and 2 are Victorians

3 appears to be a geophagus steindachneri or pelligrini

I could well be wrong on the kenyi id on the first, the facial stripes look a bit off. No idea on pic 2, do you agree with the sulphur head id? Looks solid to me, first pic I'm unsure on, similar but possibly different, do you know the species? I'm interested...

Definitely agree with the geophagus ID. I'm also just going to come out and say, probably don't shop at an LFS that puts african and SA cichlids in the same tank... Even the worst LFS in my area doesn't do that.

The last one is a sulphur head I have that same fish

Ok Thanks everyone! Looks like the sulphurhead might fit into the tank but not the eartheater or the first one (the first two pictures were the same fish at different angles). My LFS is mostly salt water and he just has a few freshwater tanks. Could the eartheater fit in with angel fish? I've seen them with discus in some other tanks when I researched them.

I don't have experience with that particular geophagus but I've kept a bunch of them and none of them have been aggressive, so I think it would be ok as long as the tank was tall enough for the angelfish to have its own space.

I don't have experience with that particular geophagus but I've kept a bunch of them and none of them have been aggressive, so I think it would be ok as long as the tank was tall enough for the angelfish to have its own space.

There are a few different complex within geophagus. Brasiliensis for example are quite aggressive in comparison to the surinamensis-types (abalios, altifrons, tapajos, etc). Steins and pelligrini fall somewhere in between the two of I'm not mistaken. Gillie keeps steins and could answer that specific question a bit better

Ahhhhh OK. All the ones that I have had that I remember the names of were suranimensis types- tapajos, suranimensis, idr the 3rd one (it was a long time ago). Thanks for the correction.

The steindachneri group geos aren't what I would deem aggressive, but they do have their moods where they are complete jerks

Sent from my LGLS770 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Yes! First one is a zebra obliquien!! I have one and I love her!!!!!

probably don't shop at an LFS that puts african and SA cichlids in the same tank... Even the worst LFS in my area doesn't do that.

That's a very naïve way to think. Try and look at a pet shops perspective for a minute. They are getting hammered by online shops such as Amazon and Fosters/Smith's so stock is an easy way to recoup some losses and they don't have the available space to accommodate every fish they want to sell. Keeping these fish like this in short terms doesn't harm anything as they generally are small and not mature yet so aggression really doesn't come into play yet. I don't know how much experience you have when it comes keeping cichlids but I don't see any harm.

It's not so much harmful as it is misleading IMO. Just seems like bad practice. Keep similar fish together in store tanks. Nearly every single reputable store that I've shopped at has kept SA and Africans separate, because in the long run they should be. I dunno, maybe agree to disagree here and you do have way more experience here than I. But if I see African and SA cichlids in the same tank at a shop I'm wary.

Back
Top Bottom