Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Cichlid Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-16-2004, 01:56 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to webmoose
Fish ID please [Julidochromis regani?]

This is hard but I have to ask:

Tiny looking brown fish with little white spots (natural white not ick) Real slim like a goby/pencil fish. Not a pencil or goby though. I think it could be in the cichlid family. I think I owned one and I think I saw one in the fish store a while back. Any guess's / pictures would be appreciated. It was tiny. I don't know if it stayed tiny or not. Flat nose like cichlid (i think).

I kept it in an semi-aggressive tank 15 years ago. The tank had Convict Cichlid's (breeding pair) / marble angels / a red tail shark / and a pleco / and a swordtail.

8 Gallon hex - 3 F1 Black Brichardi and fry..("Lamprologus sp. Walter")

10 gallon work tank - Pair of dwarf gourami and 2 cherry barbs / 2 gallon - 4 Fundulopanchax gardneri / 10 gallon - bunch of killitanks

Vote Here for Aquarium Advice
webmoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2004, 02:07 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

think the fins are on the sides no real top or bottom fins like cichlids. Like a puffer but not round body like a puffer. Thin body like a pencil: but a short pencil not a long pencil. Does not have a long nose like gars.

10 gallon work tank - Pair of dwarf gourami and 2 cherry barbs / 2 gallon - 4 Fundulopanchax gardneri / 10 gallon - bunch of killitanks

Old 04-16-2004, 03:56 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

http://www.cichlids.com/gallery/tang...hromis_regani2

I think this might be it.... Anyone know of any other fish that look like this? Anyone ever own one of these? Do the usually sell these starting at really small sizes?

Old 04-17-2004, 12:30 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

I believe they are at Tanks A Lot!!!!!! The ones over there are only 2". The ones at Tanks are definitely from Lake Tanganyika (since he specializes in Lake Tang and Malawi )
I have been looking at this thread all day trying to figure it out!
I have absolutely no experience with these fish, but I know I saw them

Menagerie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2004, 09:07 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Cool 3 reasons to go to Tanks. Pleco / Panda Cories and to see these guys..

I saw them Tiny like I remember them from 15 years ago at Big Al's but they didn't look terribly healthy. I told my friend and within a day or two he went there and the tank was replaced with Neon's or something. Saw the fruit loop and painted glass fish. Almost asked them why they carry them but just left it alone and left.

Old 10-04-2004, 10:22 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Anyone have experience with Julidochromis ?

Old 10-04-2004, 10:35 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Julidochromis regani "mboka" ???

Old 10-04-2004, 10:37 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

http://www.bigskycichlids.com/images/Jregani_mboka.jpg

Old 10-05-2004, 08:53 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I currently have a tank of J. regani that I hope to be breeding soon.

Actually, there are several Julidochromis species available: they all look similar (more or less) but there are differences amongst them.

J. marlieri and regani reach about 15 cm. J. dickefeldi, ornatus, and transcriptus are much smaller- in the 7 - 11 cm range.

The "mboka" at the end of the name is the collection point: you'll find that with many of the Tanganyikans.

Julies are great fish. They're best kept in pairs after reaching sexual maturity. Other than that, they're a pretty straight-forward Tang species.
Voodoo Chilli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2004, 09:23 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Good luck on your breeding.. Any pics of your fish?

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com