fish in cycle (follow along)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Convict2161

Aquarium Advice Addict
I've posted a lot about my readings and everything in many different threads so I figured it would be easier for those who are watching and helping me out find the updates. So I'll I'll be posting here from now on.

Yesterday did a 50% water change on a 55 gallon tank. 6 convicts, 2 FM and 1 Pleco ( bristlenose) all small right now.

Here are current stats.

Ph is 6.6 or 6.8 colors are so close to hard to tell.

Ammonia is 0.50ppm

Nitrate is 5.0ppm

Nitrite again color is hard to tell ( for me at least) looks like 0 or 0.25ppm

Well that's it....

Also I used Prime per instructions.

Using Penguin 350 dual bio wheel.

Tested again this morning no change. As soon as the wife wakes up and takes my son I'm gonna do another water change.

Ammonia is 0.50ppm

Ph is 6.8-6.6

Nitrate is 5.0ppm

Nitrite is 0 or 0.25 ppm.

50% water change 4 hours ago and here are the test results.

Ph 6.8

Ammonia 0.25ppm

Nitrite 0ppm

Nitrate 0ppm

Convict2161 said:
I get the funny feeling I'm the only one subscribed to this thread. And it's mine :(

Looks like its heading the right way! Keep testing and keep up with the PWC's and you'll soon be there!

Haha thanks guys! Glad I'm doing good that you nothing to add. Makes me feel good. I'm pumped and hope to get through it without losing 1 fish.

Water changes, water changes!! This forum rocks! Glad I found it!

LPS... "Oh just run your tank for 24 hours and come and get all the fish you want" psshhh... Yeah RIGHT!

wait, you are cycling with the fish in already? just reread the title, i dont know much about fish in cycling. maybe thats why the folks in the getting started section didnt answer you if you posted there already. i think most people prefer the safer for the fish fishless cycle version. :fish2:

Yeah read my first post. I didn't know any better and listened 100% to my LPS. Got the tank ran it, got fish from my friend, had fish from a smaller tank. Went to my LPS asked the girl in the fish dept she ran through a whole bunch of stuff with me and told me it was on to start adding fish. So little did I know... I started adding fish over a weeks time. Once all fish were in I stripped my old tank down, sold some stuff and put the rest in storage. Starting reading online and hit a google button and this forum came up, said there was an app for it so I loaded it up to my iPhone and joined. Started reading and reading and researching and reading and asking A LOT of questions. Even bought some books too.

Well bottom line is here I am. 2 weeks in on a fish in cycle. I don't fully blame my LPS though. I should have researched before doing anything as to better prepared. I'm actually surprised at myself being a fire chief that I didn't "pre plan" my wife is surprised too, but I like a challenge and I'm confident I can do this and I'm very committed to getting the job done.

Took readings just now. Here are the results. What do you guys think? Again this is a fish in cycle and week 2.

Ph 6.8

Nitrite 0ppm

Nitrate 0ppm

Ammonia 0.25ppm

So I just have one question. Do I need to water change or can I leave it until tomorrow?

Also only thing I'm using is Prime at recommended dosing. Seems to be doing the job along with my constant water changes ;)

It seems odd that your nitrate reading is 0 with fish in there.Generally there would be some nitrate reading with fish in the tank.And a small nitrate reading is perfectly acceptable.

I've had readings as my previous threads have showed, I just did a 50% water change yesterday late evening. Maybe that's why? I dunno... I'm gonna re test in about an hour and post results.

Is that bad that it's at 0?

No it's not bad just odd I always have a slight reading of nitrate.As long as your ammonia and nitrite readings are 0 you don't have a problem.I will be interested to see your next readings.It sounds like your doing a good job :)

UPDATE:

Tested today and here are results of my fish in cycle. Only using Prime and dosing it per instructions also I'm adding Prime when 50% water out of tank then I dose tank.

Nitrate 5.0ppm

Nitrite 0ppm

Ph 6.8

Ammonia 0.50ppm

Will be doing 50% if not bigger water change tomorrow.

Another update:

Did 50% water change approx 4 hours ago and here are results.

Ph 6.8

Ammonia 0 ppm

Nitrate 5.0 ppm

Nitrite 0 ppm

So how's it looking? Week 3 of my fish in cycle.

6 convicts
Pair of FM
1 BN Pleco

UPDATE:

Did 50% water change yesterday. Tested today and here are results.

Ammonia 0.25 ppm

Ph 6.8

Nitrate 0 ppm

Nitrite 0 ppm

I have some questions.

I do wc either 25% or 50% every other day. And test twice a day. With my results if you follow from my first post in this thread, when do I know my tank is cycled?

I know I'm doing everything right and I'm staying on top of it, is there something I should be looking out for? Yesterday's water change was the first time I rinsed the filters in old tank water in a bucket. The only thing I'm adding is Prime. So what's the next step? Less frequent water changes? Of course I'm gonna continue to test twice a day, so is it more now just watch the numbers and then see what kind of wc I need to perform? I was doing them regardless before. This coming Saturday will mark week 3 of this fish in cycle.

I should mention my friend gave me some driftwood,decor and gravel from a well established tank so maybe that's helping?

I just want to make sure I'm doing everything right.

EDIT: Not sure if this comes into play but temp has maintained at 76 degrees. Also I feed every other day and watch them feed. I don't just throw a handful of food and walk away. I guess you can say I monitor them when I feed them.

Back
Top Bottom