fish losing color......

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

k.mascher86

Aquarium Advice Freak
I moved my fish to a bigger tank and he lost his color within a weeks time.

Before

ForumRunner_20120704_193531.jpg

Now

ForumRunner_20120704_193603.jpg

Any thoughts or ideas as to why this happened?

Everything is the same except for the tank and filter size and instead of gravel its sand. Same fish, same decorations, same water.

Everything's normal and stable.........both my other fish are just fine. Thing is, he swims great, eats great and they all get along. I know its not a dominance thing cause he was never the dominant one.

Wild! Is the new substrate lighter than the old gravel? Just a guess, but perhaps he is trying to blend in.

The old gravel was blue ( its my 5 yr old sons ) but he wanted a grown up tank like mine so the new tank is a tan sand

I've heard of a lot of fish "mimicking" a substrate tone. It's probably nothing to worry about, but keep an eye out for other possible symptoms, because if he is loosing color from stress or sickness, he should show other signs, and you can treat appropriately.

Chiroptera said:
I've heard of a lot of fish "mimicking" a substrate tone. It's probably nothing to worry about, but keep an eye out for other possible symptoms, because if he is loosing color from stress or sickness, he should show other signs, and you can treat appropriately.

+1 with a lighter tank I wouldn't be surprised if he lightened up himself plus with the stress of a move on top of it I really wouldnt be worried about it unless he begins to show signs of illness in his swimming or behavior

Really I don't think the stress of another move now is worth it but if you wanna try it go for it. Id bet thats it though

I moved them about 2 weeks ago and the color change has only been this past week......it happened within 4 days.

mine faded when my temps were too low. Also I started feeding freeze dried bloodworm and mine all look better

So today i set up the new 55 gallon i got...........same color sand, same water and temp, color starts coming back into my fish. Could it had been caused by lack of space? im still confused.

I thought the color faded after you moved him to a bigger tank? But you just moved him to a 55 and the color is returning ? What size was he I originally and what size did he move to when the color faded?

Was in my sons 10......blue as can be.
Moved to the 20 tall......turned ghost white
Rehomed now in the 55........blue again

My Acei and Maingano lighten up or darken drastically depending if the dominant males are chasing them.

Back
Top Bottom