Fish loss :-(

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AlmonyMatt

Aquarium Advice Activist
I bought a Benga Peacock and a Red empress unsexed. Both small still. I added them and immediately I noticed the Benga Peacock was being attacked by all the fish. Not sure why but I was about to leave to get a hospital tank when I found him/her dead. Sucks. The water parameters are good. The other fish is 100% fine and not being attacked.

Matt A.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

How big was he in comparison to the other fish in your tank?

Cichlids can be aggressive and tend to pick on injured, weak, sick, or small fish in the tank.

Sent from my iPhone.

Okay, I went out and got another peacock a Eureka Red to be exact. But within hours my other fish have killed him. This is the second time my fish have done this. I added 3 last time and they only killed the one, the others untouched. This time I bought 1 and again they tore him up.

Fish List:
OB Peacock-Juv
Taiwan Reef-Juv
Zebra Obliquidens- Juv
Demansoni- 2 M/F
Yellow Lab- Juv
Red Zebra
Snow White Socolofi-Juv
Blue Johanni
"Blue Lip"cichlid
Pitch Black Cichlid -Adult
Blue Zebra-Adult
Blue Socolofi
Albino Eureka Red Peacock
Red Empress
Rubber Lip Pleco

Just trying to figure out why they have just recently started to kill new tank mates, and have been getting more aggressive in the last few weeks.

Matt A.

When adding aggressive fish like cichlids you should never add just one. Add at least three so the threat to their territory is spread out and no one fish gets picked on.

Also, how is your M/F ratio?

Sent from my iPhone.

That is advise I have received as well. Never ad one at a time always ad multiple. Also I feed them on one side of the tank and ad the fish on the other side to keep them distracted so the fish have a minute to get their bearings

I am not sure why anyone wants cichlids? They arent nice fish and are so picky about who they live with. I never got the appeal on any level.

I am not sure why anyone wants cichlids? They arent nice fish and are so picky about who they live with. I never got the appeal on any level.

Because people like them, everybody has different opinions. And yes there are a lot of beautiful cichlids, especially africans.

55 Gallon- Empty
125 Gallon- CKF and Tiger Oscar
220 Gallon- To come...

Back
Top Bottom