Fish might not make it.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cbourg746

Aquarium Advice Addict
Is this the beginning of the end for this ebjd? In my past experience it is only a matter of time now. It hangs out at the bottom of the tank all day and only moves when it's feeding time. I have another in the tank that is very active but this guy may be going to meet his maker. What do y'all think?

Is the fish eating? If so then I'd lean towards stress. They usually stop eating and wither away. Then dose with General Cure by API or nuke them with Clout my Mardel.

HUKIT said:
Is the fish eating? If so then I'd lean towards stress. They usually stop eating and wither away, then dose with General Cure by API or nuke them with Clout my Mardel.

Fish is eating. Just not doing anything else.

HUKIT said:
That fish looks stressed, look at the darkened body color. Is the others picking on him?

The only other fish with it is another ebjd that has been with it since day one. They are from the same spawn. I haven't noticed any aggressive behavior towards it by the other fish.

I'd add a light crate divider, this will ensure the other fish is not acting hostile towards it. It should look like this.

Attachments

• image-158093740.jpg
    image-158093740.jpg
    123.7 KB · Views: 111
Last edited:
HUKIT said:
Can't ask for any better, I'm sure it's irrelevant but I run all my new world tanks at 82F and old worlds at 78F.

During the day the temp rises to about 78-80.

The reason I ask is because I have my convict at 82. He seems quite happy at this temp. He was freezing at 74. Oh, and I also recently accidentally cooked him at about 95. He's fine now, and even seems better afterwards. He had always lain on his side when I got him from my sister. She had two Cichlids, Owl and Tigger, since they were fry and egg respectively for seven years before she gave them to me last month. I have thus far failed to prevent Owl's demise, but anyway, Tigger was always on his side, my sister telling me that he always did that...for years. Now all of a sudden he stops laying on his side? Can you cook a fish to good health and cause them illness when they are too cold? Also, do differing varieties like different temps? Thanks, I realize now that I just hijacked your post. Sorry:-/

OwlnTigger said:
The reason I ask is because I have my convict at 82. He seems quite happy at this temp. He was freezing at 74. Oh, and I also recently accidentally cooked him at about 95. He's fine now, and even seems better afterwards. He had always lain on his side when I got him from my sister. She had two Cichlids, Owl and Tigger, since they were fry and egg respectively for seven years before she gave them to me last month. I have thus far failed to prevent Owl's demise, but anyway, Tigger was always on his side, my sister telling me that he always did that...for years. Now all of a sudden he stops laying on his side? Can you cook a fish to good health and cause them illness when they are too cold? Also, do differing varieties like different temps? Thanks, I realize now that I just hijacked your post. Sorry:-/

IMO the temp has little (more than likely nothing) to do with what's going in with this fish. Parasites was my first thought. Hukit suggested aggression from the tank mate. I have divide the tank and treated with metronidazole. We shall see how it goes.

HUKIT said:
Parasites or stress a dark EBJD is not a good thing, they're like a fragile little flower.

Well........if these guys don't make it, that's going to be my last and final attempt at keeping these fish. Too much of a disappointment. Third time I thought would be a charm. Still hoping for the best though. Maybe my genotype pair can produce one viable fry.

Well........if these guys don't make it, that's going to be my last and final attempt at keeping these fish. Too much of a disappointment. Third time I thought would be a charm. Still hoping for the best though. Maybe my genotype pair can produce one viable fry.

I tried twice with a total of 5 fish that never made it past the mythical 3" mark, they all turned dark, stopped eating , then withered away even after treating for parasites. Since then I've personally written them out of my fish room.

Good luck as I hope he pulls though.

Back
Top Bottom