Fish Safe with Cichlids

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Finntastic

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hello, I have a 55 gallon lake Malawi setup with peacocks, a yellow lab, a five banded cichlid, and soon a school of blue acei. I need some ideas for fish that get along with these cichlids, here is what I have so far: Ropefish, Pleco, one spot domino syno catfish, and Rainbowfish.

Any African mbuna really...
It's all trial and error.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Also, I wouldn't recommend mixing your peacocks with mbuna.

Mbuna and peacocks is asking for trouble, unless you do it properly.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Do you have a pic of the 5 banded cichlid? I'm picturing a few species an all of them can be nasty.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

It can be done, i had a mixed tank for 8 years with no problems. No fish are the same though and what works for some may not work for others. The only reason i still dont have them is my heater cracked and it killed all my fish over night. All my catfish that were in the tank survived though.

Here is my five banded cichlid.
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1428758591.417181.jpg
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1428758604.121477.jpg
He is only about 1/2" and has shown no aggression yet.

You just don't get that mixing cichlids doesn't work do you? Didn't you just have a problem with acei bully, now you're getting multiple? Pick, either mbuna or peacocks because I can tell you first hand it usually doesn't work.

Here is my five banded cichlid.
View attachment 269771
View attachment 269772
He is only about 1/2" and has shown no aggression yet.

Yeah that's Lamprologus tretacephalus, one of the fish I was thinking of. Although there is a general rule about not keeping Tangs with Malawian cichlids, tretacephalus has been successfully kept with mbuna due to their aggression. I would just keep an eye on it in case it gets too nasty.

Have one.....great fish!

You just don't get that mixing cichlids doesn't work do you? Didn't you just have a problem with acei bully, now you're getting multiple? Pick, either mbuna or peacocks because I can tell you first hand it usually doesn't work.

Ok, I have decided to do a peacock tank. I have tried multiple times to catch my Calico Mbuna but failed. The yellow lab and the five banded cichlid have yet to show aggression so I am going to wait and see. But do you think I could add some Daffodi's?

Looking at the pictures you provided, you're going to need a major aquascape remodel, peacocks will need way more room if your entire tank is filled with rocks.

Looking at the pictures you provided, you're going to need a major aquascape remodel, peacocks will need way more room if your entire tank is filled with rocks.

Ok, I can do that as of now the biggest peacock is 3" and there are only three peacocks. Also I have a very open swimming space with large caves in the rockwork.

Its doable no doubt. The yellow labs should be fine with the peacocks. They're one of the few exceptions to the peacock/mbuna rule. The five lined I have no clue about. Probably will need to watch it closely as it grows. In my experience cichlids can coexist as juvies but as they mature the aggression becomes more pronounced.

Its doable no doubt. The yellow labs should be fine with the peacocks. They're one of the few exceptions to the peacock/mbuna rule. The five lined I have no clue about. Probably will need to watch it closely as it grows. In my experience cichlids can coexist as juvies but as they mature the aggression becomes more pronounced.

What about daffadi's? (I'm sure I spelled that wrong)

Daffodils will be fine.

If the daffodils spawn, they will take over the rockwork and terrorize or kill anything they may see as a threat.

The best course would be to choose a type and research to choose compatible fish accordingly.

If the daffodils spawn, they will take over the rockwork and terrorize or kill anything they may see as a threat.

The best course would be to choose a type and research to choose compatible fish accordingly.

That so... not great. Could I have just one daffodil?

You said you wanted a Malawi tank. How about focus loosely on a true Malawi biotope (I say loosely since you probably can't exactly match the Malawi sand and rock.) But maybe focus on matching Malawi peacocks with only Malawi fish known to be compatible with peacocks in the home aquarium.

Back
Top Bottom