Fish tank odor

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dtorre125

Aquarium Advice Regular
My 55 gallon african tank with about 40 fish smells like poop. How do i eliminate the odor? Would water changes do the trick or could i buy a product that does the job?

Dtorre125 said:
My 55 gallon african tank with about 40 fish smells like poop. How do i eliminate the odor? Would water changes do the trick or could i buy a product that does the job?

That's a lot of fish in a 55 gallon. What is your filtration system? How often do you do water changes and gravel vac. That's some bio load. I think I have 40-45 in my 75g and I consider myself overstocked.

It may be time to do a 20-30% water change. Also.....be careful not to over feed. If your filtration can't keep up the excess food in the tank will surely stink the place up.

Oh wow! If you really want to do that your are going to need a lot of filtration! If the tank is SUPER dirty clean the filters and do a 30-40% water change WITH the gravel vac.. Do this at LEAST weekly

I'm running a canister fx5 and a AC110 on my 75gallon just to give you and idea of filtration for an African Cichlid tank.

I have enough filtration with a fluval 305 abd 2 whisper 30s also threw a wave maker in to make the fish mre active. I have plenty of wood and rock in the tank for my fish to have hiding spots. Going to just start doing water changes more often. Thanks for the help

I have the same problem with my 150 gallon Oscar tank. Besides getting a better filtration filter, I change the water at least once a week and set up a small air cleaner next to the tank. The actual filter I spray down with Lysol that has a nice scent. That seems to do the trick for the odor.

Adding filtration will not fix the problem. Using carbon may help, but the real solution is large water changes, done regularly. If the tank smells now, a couple of large changes may be in order to begin. By large I mean in excess of 50%. If it was my tank I would drain it down until there was just enough water to cover the fish, and refill.

I have enough filtration with a fluval 305 abd 2 whisper 30s

Apparently, this is not true, since you have a strong odor.

This tank is severely overstocked. You should be doing two 50% water changes/gravel vacs per week. No less. If you choose to stock a tank like this, that choice involves you being more diligent with your maintenance.

You can try to insert some carbon to help with the odor but it won't get rid of the underlying issue.

Full tank shot! Full tank shot!! Full tank shot!!
Lol im also curious how that looks

so its smelling inside the room? or when you open the lid? i pray my tank never smells up the house because my wife would say the end its time for it to go.

Just did about a 70% water change lookin beautiful... Dont know how to post pic but thanks for the help

Back
Top Bottom