Fish with an unsightly bump on upper lip

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Yherbert

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Bump on fish upper lip

Not sure what it is or what to do. When I first noticed I treated tank with paraguard a month ago. Yesterday I moved him to a quarantine tank. He's eating and swimming. I just don't know what to do ! I'm unable to post a picture.

What is it? How do I treat it. Fish had been moved to quarantine tank I would like to post a picture. But this site is prohibiting me from doing that. Somebody said it was cystic

Bump in fish 'scupper lip

Unsightly bump on my fish upper lip. Need to know what to do

Attachments

• IMG_1042.jpg
    IMG_1042.jpg
    260.5 KB · Views: 205
The bump could be viral / cystic or a tumor. Unless the fish was injured in someway which caused a lesionless lump, there really is not much you can do. If the problem is viral there is an outside chance it will clear up on It's own depending on the fishes overall health. Much like a cold sore. Good luck.

The bump could be viral / cystic or a tumor. Unless the fish was injured in someway which caused a lesionless lump, there really is not much you can do. If the problem is viral there is an outside chance it will clear up on It's own depending on the fishes overall health. Much like a cold sore. Good luck.

Thx you so much!!! Do
I need to isolate and treat fish?

If the fish is eating and acting normally, probably no need to isolate him. You can really only treat with meds when the problems are bacterial, fungus or parasitic. In this case apparently none of the listed ailments apply.

I'm going to transfer him back then to the old tank

What are your tank water parameters?

What color is it, has it turned fuzzy or cottony looking?[/

Attached is a copy of water perimeters as of yesterday.

The color of bump is pinkish. Not cottony.

IMG_1069.JPG

First look really carefully /closely and see if there are any dots of any color and if there is any worm looking things coming from it.

If not it could be a number of things.

The one major possibility is it just a growth that happens on some fish. I have a gourami with a pink spot on its tail and it has had it since it was adopted a couple years ago. Not really got much larger and never seemingly has effected her.

Are there any black dots around the fishes head - hole in the head / HITH can develop lesions like a pimple?

Last edited:
First look really carefully /closely and see if there are any dots of any color and if there is any worm looking things coming from it.

If not it could be a number of things.

The one major possibility is it just a growth that happens on some fish. I have a gourami with a pink spot on its tail and it has had it since it was adopted a couple years ago. Not really got much larger and never seemingly has effected her.

Are there any black dots around the fishes head - hole in the head / HITH can develop lesions like a pimple?

I have an UV sterilizer in tank. I'm going to closely examine fish when I get home. I didn't notice any worms, etc.

Back
Top Bottom